The Student Room Group

What career would suit me? Generally struggling with this.

So I've been through loads of career ideas and to be honest none of them suit me. I'm just going to bullet point what I want and see if anyone has any suggestions, because I don't like not having any idea

Part time. I don't want to work more than 3 days a week.

People focused. I'm a people person. I HATE analytical/stats/data/academia.

I'm not bothered about advancing/getting a "top job' or whatever. As long as it pays more than £20k a year, I'm fine

Creative. Preferably. Again I'm more creative than academic.

FUN. If I get bored I'll quit. I have the attention span of a kitten.

Flexible. I don't do well with rules that aren't flexible.

I honestly don't know what I want to do :dontknow: If people could just give me some ideas because I don't even know where to look?

Scroll to see replies

Tattooist
Original post by + polarity -
Tattooist

If I was good enough to be a tattooist, I would ****ing love it. But there are so many better Tattoo Artists than me :rofl:
Reply 3
You seem to be living in an idealist world, i would love what you are posting for myself but it doesn't seem realistic to me unless i'm missing something! Freelance artist of some sort is an option but you will be working hard with it and unlikely to be earning 20k plus unless you're real talented.
Cooking or working with children?
I think your best bet would be to start your own business. That potentially takes care of all the rules. Don't ask me what that business should be, but I sense working within a corporate institution is not going to be for you. You would probably have to work more than three days a week at first, and would be lucky to earn so much initially, but you sound like you could really thrive being your own boss.
Reply 6
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
So I've been through loads of career ideas and to be honest none of them suit me. I'm just going to bullet point what I want and see if anyone has any suggestions, because I don't like not having any idea

I'm not bothered about advancing/getting a "top job' or whatever. As long as it pays more than £20k a year, I'm fine

I honestly don't know what I want to do :dontknow: If people could just give me some ideas because I don't even know where to look?

OK, what are you good at? You say you're "creative", but that's pretty broad and could cover everything from literal art (like tattooing) to event organisation. :dontknow:
Original post by Lotus_Eater
I think your best bet would be to start your own business. That potentially takes care of all the rules. Don't ask me what that business should be, but I sense working within a corporate institution is not going to be for you. You would probably have to work more than three days a week at first, and would be lucky to earn so much initially, but you sound like you could really thrive being your own boss.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of that either. Even my boyfriend says "I can't see you working, at least not doing something normal". I just don't do well with them :dontknow:

I may actually look into setting up my own business, as I do tend to work well when I can decide how I want to do things. I'm surprised with myself I haven't considered this before
Reply 8
Housewife :biggrin:

I'm not sure though in all seriousness as nobody knows you personally! Maybe a "Buyer" at a fashion / art place?
Reply 9

Gonna be really hard to support yourself off anything that involves that, not gonna lie :unsure: You're probs gonna need to do 9 to 5, at least at the outset, or similiar with flexible hours.

Are you at/going to uni? What subject for? :smile:
Original post by Tortious
OK, what are you good at? You say you're "creative", but that's pretty broad and could cover everything from literal art (like tattooing) to event organisation. :dontknow:

1) Art as in cartooning/illustration. Not good at realistic stuff.
2) Crafty/making stuff/solving problems in unique ways
3) Good with my hands (:sexface:). No in all seriousness, I'm good at DIY and practical stuff.
4) I'm funny and outgoing, so I'm good at giving presentations and designing the layouts/handouts and stuff like that
5) Good at meeting people/talking to people
Original post by Alpha brah
Gonna be really hard to support yourself off anything that involves that, not gonna lie :unsure: You're probs gonna need to do 9 to 5, at least at the outset, or similiar with flexible hours.

Are you at/going to uni? What subject for? :smile:

At uni, doing History of Art. Which I love. I'd work 4 days in the beginning but full time work doesn't appeal to me

Agreed. And there's no way you'll earn £20k working part time.
Reply 13

Something in media or possibly marketing.
Reply 14
Judging by your previous posts, freelance make up artist?
Reply 15
At uni, doing History of Art. Which I love. I'd work 4 days in the beginning but full time work doesn't appeal to me

You might be able to get flexible hours if you were lucky, but I really doubt you'll be able to earn as much as you'd want working 4 days a week. That means almost double your normal pay per hour, unlikely :dontknow: I may be wrong though. Have you been to speak to a careers adviser at your uni/Connexions/the Prospects site etc? :smile:
Teaching Assistant?
If I was good enough to be a tattooist, I would ****ing love it. But there are so many better Tattoo Artists than me :rofl:

With that mindset you won't get many places. Do you actually draw? You say you would ****ing love being a tattooist; so research as much about ot, practice and you'll be able to be as good as them possibly. Very few people start off absolutely amazing.

I want to make my own thread with the exact same title but I've no idea what i want to do.
Original post by syrettd
Judging by your previous posts, freelance make up artist?

I would love to, that would be my dream job but I don't know how to get the experience required :/ But if I could I absolutely would.

You might be able to get flexible hours if you were lucky, but I really doubt you'll be able to earn as much as you'd want working 4 days a week. That means almost double your normal pay per hour, unlikely :dontknow: I may be wrong though. Have you been to speak to a careers adviser at your uni/Connexions/the Prospects site etc? :smile:

I could go down to £15k. Money isn't a motivator for me, as long as I have enough I really don't mind. I haven't, I may do that :smile:
Yeah, I don't like the idea of that either. Even my boyfriend says "I can't see you working, at least not doing something normal". I just don't do well with them :dontknow:

I may actually look into setting up my own business, as I do tend to work well when I can decide how I want to do things. I'm surprised with myself I haven't considered this before

Yeah, you mention in other posts that you are quite practical. If you don't mind doing a bit of extra training then being a female plumber / electrician can be an in-demand skill since a lot of vulnerable people living by themselves are wary of contracting men for work. This might not be entirely what you'd like to do - maybe interior design with a hands-on element might be more your thing? I don't think earning £20k a year part-time is that unrealistic. If you can charge a professional hourly rate then you might just do it.

Quick Reply

Latest