Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't know whether there is any similar thread (in case sorry for not seeing it)...

I was wondering, is there any difference (in terms of possibilities to be accepted) based on when one applies to a Master's degree? Do early applications increase the possibilities to be accepted?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the type of course and the individual university.

If the course is popular and regularly oversubscribed, then it may have a cap on numbers. There could be a cut-off point where no further applications are considered. From what I've seen on TSR, these are likely to be courses such as MBAs and other business/finance related courses. If you're applying to one of these courses, then an early application would give you a greater chance of an offer.

However, many Masters courses recruit throughout the year. Mine accepted applications up to a month before the course start date, but it had a relatively low acceptance rate (I think it gave 1 offer for every 8 applications in my year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    It depends on the type of course and the individual university.

If the course is popular and regularly oversubscribed, then it may have a cap on numbers. There could be a cut-off point where no further applications are considered. From what I've seen on TSR, these are likely to be courses such as MBAs and other business/finance related courses. If you're applying to one of these courses, then an early application would give you a greater chance of an offer.

However, many Masters courses recruit throughout the year. Mine accepted applications up to a month before the course start date, but it had a relatively low acceptance rate (I think it gave 1 offer for every 8 applications in my year).
    Thanks for the reply ! ...And what is early? For instance, if a Master's accepts applications up to one month before the start, when would you say an early application is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polscistudent88)
    Thanks for the reply ! ...And what is early? For instance, if a Master's accepts applications up to one month before the start, when would you say an early application is?
    I applied in October 2010 and the Masters started in September 2011. That was definitely early. I was given a conditional offer within a month.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polscistudent88)
    Don't know whether there is any similar thread (in case sorry for not seeing it)...

I was wondering, is there any difference (in terms of possibilities to be accepted) based on when one applies to a Master's degree? Do early applications increase the possibilities to be accepted?
    This can be uni and department specific. Some unis specify closing dates for applications and only look at all of them after that. Others specify a closing date but start giving out offers as applications come in. Still others (LSE springs to mind) have rolling admissions and give out offers until such time as they have given out enough, which is early in the year for some courses and late for others.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks sj27, thought it was something like that... Guess the earlier the better when one is not sure how the dept will make its decisions...

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.