Turn on thread page Beta

Has anybody used counselling to deal with unrequited love/ other relationship issues? watch

I've been infatuated with someone for 5 years now. I met him when in halls in my first year at uni. We got along really well when we first met. We kissed a couple of times on nights out, but when I asked him out, he rejected me.

For some reason, it hit me a lot harder than it should have. I just couldn't move past being reject by him, because I was 100% certain he liked me back. To make things worse, we started acting really weird around each other, since we were both young and immature. I thought it would get better with time, but it didn't. We stopped being friends.

After moving out of halls, I deleted him from facebook, deleted his number, and never spoke to him again. But, 5 years on, I am still obsessed with him. I constantly think about him and wonder what i could have done differently to make it work between us.

Sometimes I get really down when I think about how I'll never see him again and I could never have him. I've tried literally everything I cold think of to move on. I've picked up new hobbies, I spend a lot of time with my family and friends, I've tried improving things I don't like about myself, and I've even been out with other guys, but nothing works!!

The only thing I can think of now is counselling, but I'm not sure if this is the kind of issue they deal with? I'm currently a masters student, so I can use the counselling service at university, but before I make an appointment, I would really like to hear about any experiences you guys have had with counselling for similar issues.

Thanks

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Yes counselling can help - start with your uni then you could move on to your GP. It won't be a quick fix but hopefully they can help you move on!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry OP. I think counselling should help because there is an underlying issue somewhere.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.