Being in England 3 years, at what point can student finance be claimed? Watch

nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
To be able to claim maintenance loans/grants my housemate needs to have been in England 3 years to count as a home student from what I gather. But at what point does that 3 years have to come? Can he submit his claim part way through the year, on the exact 3 year mark and start receiving money as soon as it's accepted and sorted out? Can he submit his claim before the 3 year mark and start receiving it at that 3 year point? Or does he have to wait to apply until he's been here 3 years, then start receiving it at the start of the next academic year ? I think that covers all possibilities, any of which could be true.
mikele
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My brother lived in Dubai for 6 years before he went to Uni with a full student loan, but my dad lived in England (has done all his life). I don't think it is as strict when there are other circumstances, I doubt you'll have problems securing the loan if you've lived in England for nearly 3 years.
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by mikele)
My brother lived in Dubai for 6 years before he went to Uni with a full student loan, but my dad lived in England (has done all his life). I don't think it is as strict when there are other circumstances, I doubt you'll have problems securing the loan if you've lived in England for nearly 3 years.
It's for my housemate. He doesn't have any relatives who have lived here longer either. I'm not entirely sure when the 3 year mark is, but I'm pretty sure it's before he starts his 3rd year, although not how long before, as I think he was working here for a few months/a year before.
balotelli12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He has to have been here for 3 years when his course starts to be entitled to loans.
If he is already studying he won't qualify for any loans.
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by balotelli12)
He has to have been here for 3 years when his course starts to be entitled to loans.
If he is already studying he won't qualify for any loans.
He thought that he would be able to claim maintenance loans/grants for just his 3rd year, but was unsure when he could apply or if he could even get it for part of his 2nd year .... hhmmm. I wasn't sure, hence why i'm asking on his behalf.
balotelli12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nic-nac)
He thought that he would be able to claim maintenance loans/grants for just his 3rd year, but was unsure when he could apply or if he could even get it for part of his 2nd year .... hhmmm. I wasn't sure, hence why i'm asking on his behalf.
Nope, no entitlement at all I'm afraid.
nic-nac
Rep:
?
(Original post by balotelli12)
Nope, no entitlement at all I'm afraid.
Oh dear. He can live without it, but it would make it easier. It seems a bit unfair when he's paid more taxes than most British people his age at uni !
balotelli12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nowhere near as much as their parents though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (480)
30.91%
The paper was reasonable (601)
38.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.48%
It was TERRIBLE (216)
13.91%

Watched Threads