Help Needed Desperately. Please. Watch

hollyganderton
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay, so I'm in year 13, and I've looked to study English Literature next year at university. The thing is I have several problems:

1. My AS grades were not what I expected (D in Geography & Psychology, E in English Literature [and also Religious Studies but I've dropped this]), which has made my predicted grades CCD, which is very low, as others wanting to study English will know, as the grades are really high, often something like AAB. I haven't aimed for those, of course, but more around 300 UCAS points mark... - so first problem, what do I do to get them higher?? Or at least CCC/CCB?

2. I'm starting to question whether I even want to do English Literature anymore... I've always enjoyed Geography and I'm questioning whether to do that instead... Because I don't have a set career path yet. But if feels so late to change my mind with personal statements/applications being due in like NOW (I don't want to leave it too late). And it's very hard to write a personal statement when you're not even sure you want to do that course anymore... :/

3. Which brings me to my third problem, do I take a gap year to decide? Because I'm not willing to spend £27,000 on a degree I may not even want to do, or waste time and money by dropping out in the first semester... But what would I do in a gap year? (Proposing I don't re-take year 13) I really don't want to waste a year. :/

Please help me, Holly.
coopertroopa03
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
From the sounds of it a lot of people are finding this hard, but if you're finding it that difficult it might be best to take a gap year? Maybe you should give yourself some more time to find out what you want to do and change personal statements if needed. I don't think there's any harm in getting a job/work experience if you can for a year and getting your head round what you want to do; I can see what you mean but in the long run it's only a year I'm not at uni yet so I don't know how this will affect you but I shouldn't think it's a problem.
Good luck!
randomly-abby
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Perhaps if you do want to go to university this year you could consider a dual honours degree? I know someone who is applying for dual geography and english so I know they exist
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely take a gap year and make sure you get your grades up. That way you can apply to decent uni (not ones that accept CCD) and your degree/uni would be worth the money. You'll get unconditional offers anyway.

Regarding your degree choice, I think you'll have to be pragmatic with what you choose. In a sense you should look at the bigger picture in terms of your future employability and career prospects.
staticas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd definitely take a gap year to higher the grades!

(Original post by randomly-abby)
Perhaps if you do want to go to university this year you could consider a dual honours degree? I know someone who is applying for dual geography and english so I know they exist

Or do this ^
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Take a gap year. It's an expensive way to be unhappy for 3 years. Get a job and save some money.
Khallil
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hollyganderton)
3. Which brings me to my third problem, do I take a gap year to decide? Because I'm not willing to spend £27,000 on a degree I may not even want to do, or waste time and money by dropping out in the first semester... But what would I do in a gap year? (Proposing I don't re-take year 13) I really don't want to waste a year. :/

Please help me, Holly.
You've answered your own question in bold. Take a gap year. Get a job. Read more into a subject you'd like to pursue the year after at uni. There's no point wasting 9k a year on a degree you don't enjoy/think won't get you anywhere.
hollyganderton
Those whoa re saying take a gap year... Do I apply this year for English Lit as originally planned to keep my options open? I'm worried about changing my mind again... :/
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Those whoa re saying take a gap year... Do I apply this year for English Lit as originally planned to keep my options open? I'm worried about changing my mind again... :/
Well, you've nothing to lose but the Ucas fee, but I'll be honest: CCD predictions are going to get you nowhere for English, and speaking as gently as I can as an English teacher and someone who is all in favour of people studying the subject, I would doubt whether your results indicate that you are the stuff English students are made of. It is your worst result, after all. If you really feel you can do better, then apply with your results in hand. At the moment, you are highly unlikely to get offers, and since you are sounding like you're going off the idea anyway, I have to ask what the point is.
hollyganderton
(Original post by carnationlilyrose)
Well, you've nothing to lose but the Ucas fee, but I'll be honest: CCD predictions are going to get you nowhere for English, and speaking as gently as I can as an English teacher and someone who is all in favour of people studying the subject, I would doubt whether your results indicate that you are the stuff English students are made of. It is your worst result, after all. If you really feel you can do better, then apply with your results in hand. At the moment, you are highly unlikely to get offers, and since you are sounding like you're going off the idea anyway, I have to ask what the point is.
It's just, I love English, but I have to admit when it comes to the actual exam I have messed up a bit... I only got C's at G.C.S.E. and the E... I have no idea how it happened to be honest.. Just a bad exam... and not really grasping what my coursework was asking from me... But I do still love it. I agree that my grades wont get me very far atm though... I feel like I will get higher than predicted though, most definitely as I'm re-taking almost everything.
Carnationlilyrose
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's just, I love English, but I have to admit when it comes to the actual exam I have messed up a bit... I only got C's at G.C.S.E. and the E... I have no idea how it happened to be honest.. Just a bad exam... and not really grasping what my coursework was asking from me... But I do still love it. I agree that my grades wont get me very far atm though... I feel like I will get higher than predicted though, most definitely as I'm re-taking almost everything.
I really feel for you. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it work. However, with Cs at GCSE, you're not going to convince an admissions tutor that the AS was just a blip. I think you will find a lot of rejections this year quite hard to bear and I'd really suggest taking a year out and taking the pressure off this summer. Then you can make a sensible application when you know what you've got.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (222)
22.75%
The paper was reasonable (440)
45.08%
Not feeling great about that exam... (176)
18.03%
It was TERRIBLE (138)
14.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed