Hydrogen peroxide titration help Watch

OwenJenkins12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I want to do a titration to work out the rate of decomposition of hydrogen peroxide

I know that ou can do this by taking samples of the reaction mixture at different times and running them into an acidified solution of potassium iodide. The iodine produced can be titrated with a solution of thiosulphate using starch indicator:

2H+ + H2O2 + 2I– → I2 + 2H2O

I2 + 2S2O32– → 2I– + S4O6 2–

The volume of thiosulphate solution required for the titration provides a measure of the amount of hydrogen peroxide in the reaction mixture at the different times. I aslo know that my concentration of Hydrogen peroxide is approx 0.5moles.

So my questions are:
what volume of hydrogen peroxide would I need?
What volume and concentration of potssium iodide would i need?
What volume and concentration of sodium thiosluphate would i need?

Thank-you!
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When it comes to concentrations, consult http://www.titrations.info/iodometri...tion-solutions

From these you should be able to evaluate hydrogen peroxide volume required (same site has a discussion of the titrant and sample volume).

When it comes to hydrogen peroxide I prefer titration with permanganate.
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by OwenJenkins12)
I want to do a titration to work out the rate of decomposition of hydrogen peroxide

I know that ou can do this by taking samples of the reaction mixture at different times and running them into an acidified solution of potassium iodide. The iodine produced can be titrated with a solution of thiosulphate usingstarch indicator:

2H+ + H2O2 + 2I– → I2 + 2H2O

I2 + 2S2O32– → 2I– + S4O6 2–

The volume of thiosulphate solution required for the titration provides a measure of the amount of hydrogen peroxide in the reaction mixture at the different times. I aslo know that my concentration of Hydrogen peroxide is approx 0.5moles.

So my questions are:
what volume of hydrogen peroxide would I need?
What volume and concentration of potssium iodide would i need?
What volume and concentration of sodium thiosluphate would i need?

Thank-you!
You are getting there. Your iodide will be in excess. The thiosulphate concentration will depend on the peroxide concentration which you know. You can play around with the conc. of thiosulphate to get a large enough titre. Bearing in mind the peroxide will decompose, your titre will obviously decrease.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (163)
22.27%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (137)
18.72%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.48%

Watched Threads