Fan 'completes' 1996 Premier League sticker album Watch

hbk4894
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
A man who was missing six stickers from a 1990s football album tracked down the players in question so he could complete his collection.

Adam Carroll-Smith, a 29-year-old Portsmouth fan who lives in the city, found the 1996 Merlin Premier League album in his attic.

It took him six months to trace the missing players, visit them and take their photos for his album.

Mr Carroll- Smith said: "They were all fantastic, really accommodating guys."

He described how he always thought he had completed the 1996 album but had a "gut punch" when he opened it 16 years later to discover six spaces remained.
Adam carroll-Smith Adam Carroll-Smith eventually threw the album into the sea

He immediately decided "a great wrong had to be righted" and started an internet search for former Southampton and Blackburn winger Stuart Ripley.

Now a solicitor, Ripley invited Mr Carroll-Smith to Manchester to take his picture.

Finding the two foreign stars he was missing in his album proved more problematic.

After two cross-channel trips, Mr Carroll-Smith found Newcastle United's Philippe Albert was working in the fruit and vegetable trade in his native Belgium.

Blackburn's Norwegian midfielder Lars Bohinen, meanwhile, was taking part in a Scandinavian version of Strictly Come Dancing.

The rest of the six players were tracked down through internet searching, social media conversations and word-of-mouth contacts through networks of football fans.

from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-24992646

did you ever collect premier league stickers?
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course! Oh I remember the countless hours spent on the school playground where we'd all go through the stickers our parents had just bought us and trade them... ''got, got, got, got, NEED!!'' :laugh:

I remember the England squad coins Sainsburys did for the 1998 World Cup as well. Still have the album knocking about somewhere back at my parents house.

Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I remember collecting a few packs of cards but never really did it passionately. Man, it'd be great if there was an online place to flick through old football cards, bring back some memories.

I was surprised, when my niece showed me some, that they still do the cards. I thought they would have been phased out or gone digital like everything else these days.
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
Ah I remember match attax in 2006
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Of course! Oh I remember the countless hours spent on the school playground where we'd all go through the stickers our parents had just bought us and trade them... ''got, got, got, got, NEED!!'' :laugh:

I remember the England squad coins Sainsburys did for the 1998 World Cup as well. Still have the album knocking about somewhere back at my parents house.

I have an Alan Shearer coin
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Those Merlin stickers were very expensive from what I remember. I think it was £1 for a pack of five normals plus a silver? Time you complete the album it would have cost you a bucket load.
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Those Merlin stickers were very expensive from what I remember. I think it was £1 for a pack of five normals plus a silver? Time you complete the album it would have cost you a bucket load.
Didn't they used to dish some out free in cereal boxes or some other snack product? Or is it just me?

I think I paid for some but sure used to get some free from somewhere.
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
Didn't they used to dish some out free in cereal boxes or some other snack product? Or is it just me?

I think I paid for some but sure used to get some free from somewhere.
Didn't they give loads away with Match magazine? I'm sure the album was even given away with it at some point too. Talking late 90's/early 00's here.

Jjj90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
When I used to collect them (late 90's) they were 30p a pack. Me and my brother used to get £5 pocket money a week and would go and but tons in Woolworths, you should have seen my stack of surplus shinies, I was like a god in that playground.

It's funny, whenever I see a random player from 98 or 99 I think 'ooh! I had him!'. Also I remember every team from the 98 season... it's emblazoned on my memory.
Aky786UK
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
Didn't they give loads away with Match magazine? I'm sure the album was even given away with it at some point too. Talking late 90's/early 00's here.

I can't remember. I don't think they did with the early 90s editions we used to collect but maybe in the later editions. Ahh MATCH, used to have all of the A4 posters splashed all over our bedroom wall as a kid! Memories!
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aky786UK)
Probably but I guess I never had that cereal so I can't remember. I remember buying them separately from my local newsagent though.

(Original post by Jjj90)
When I used to collect them (late 90's) they were 30p a pack. Me and my brother used to get £5 pocket money a week and would go and but tons in Woolworths, you should have seen my stack of surplus shinies, I was like a god in that playground.

It's funny, whenever I see a random player from 98 or 99 I think 'ooh! I had him!'. Also I remember every team from the 98 season... it's emblazoned on my memory.
That pricing sounds more realistic. I remember trading duplicates but I don't think I even managed to complete a team, let alone a whole album.
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hbk4894)
A man who was missing six stickers from a 1990s football album tracked down the players in question so he could complete his collection.

It took him six months

He described how he always thought he had completed the 1996 album but had a "gut punch" when he opened it 16 years later to discover six spaces remained.

He immediately decided "a great wrong had to be righted"

After two cross-channel trips, Mr Carroll-Smith found Newcastle United's Philippe Albert was working in the fruit and vegetable trade in his native Belgium.

Blackburn's Norwegian midfielder Lars Bohinen, meanwhile, was taking part in a Scandinavian version of Strictly Come Dancing.

Adam Carroll-Smith eventually threw the album into the sea
This guy is going to be in the news again in another 6 months because he shot a classroom of kids. (Probably after finding his school yearbook and not finding any pictures of him in it, actually.)

I know he's not hurting anyone, but he's either a ****ing mental case or has too much money and time for his own good.
Vintage
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Jeeezz. I had all the albums from 95 to 01 complete. 94 never got finished.

I got every issue of Match... & SHOOT. Great magazines back in the day.

Anyone remember Flickerballs? Basically marbles with pictures of footballers inside!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (491)
31.1%
The paper was reasonable (608)
38.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (258)
16.34%
It was TERRIBLE (222)
14.06%

Watched Threads