Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey! i'm 20 and my boyfriend is too, and at that age for some reason... he's scared to spend his own earned money.

He has about £4,000 saved up, and yet he is worried about getting a new phone on a contract. He'll buy normal little things like petrol, deodorant etc aha, and he'll treat me if we go out, but if we do go out, i'll spend money on clothes, yet he won't spend a penny. except in the toilets. (just to say i'm not someone who expects things bought for me!)

but what i think it is... when he was younger, he told me he was just living at home with his mum and sister as his parents had split up. his dad never gave any money to his mum and she couldn't really work much because she needed to look after him and his sister. he said they remember having about £1 in 5p's/10p's on a Sunday... not much to eat, and they bought asda smartprice soup.

he's a hard worker and he saves up. but i think he's worried about if anything like that were to ever happen again. or if he lost his job. i wouldn't want him to spend all his money because it's good to have savings, but he said he wants that new phone and has enough to pay the full 2 year contract off (it'd be something like £900 over 2 years), he'd be earning still as well, and i think he should treat himself.

what do you think? what should i say to him?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a sensible, level headed, guy.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a decent guy to be fair, nothing wrong with sticking to the bare minimum.

ReputationRep:
    It's okay if he doesn't want to. I don't see anything wrong with his decisions, in fact it looks fairly reasonable. If he doesn't want to spend on a new phone don't pressurize him in doing so. Maybe in another 6 months or year when things go up in his bank you can have a talk with him.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are scared of wasting money so they waste it by not wasting it.

ReputationRep:
    your boyfriend is two years old ?!?!?!?!!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Scared?

Sounds like he value's money.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with being sensible with your finances and spending £900 on a phone contract hardly constitutes as being scared to spend. Imo it is completely unnecessary to spend that amount and therefore it is somewhat of a luxury purchase.

ReputationRep:
    he sounds sensible and level headed. £900 on a phone contract sounds like a waste of money. i am on pay as you go and make a few texts each month (to be fair i have no friends to text and the few texts i make are to my family :o:).

i have come to realise that money does not equate to happiness. as long as you have enough to live a semi comfortable life, that is all you need. having friends, having female attention, having sex, having a girlfriend are more important. all of which i dont have. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    He is sensible and understands the value of money.

Myself I am like this, I live under a siege mentality.

I became this way after many years in unsecure jobs, therefore I never knew where the next penny would come from. I always imagined being JUST short in the far future and having to starve or something.

As such my spending is very very low.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was as good at saving money as him!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.