Should i pursue medicine Watch

whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
well im in year 11 and il be done with my gcse's soon enough, i know its a bit early to start thinking about medicine but i would really like to do it yet im not sure if my grades would cut it.

Ive looked at some unis that do medicine and they want quite good gcse grades, ive only done bilogy so far, my targets are:

maths:A*
Chem:A
Physics:A
Biology:A (i got an A*)
english lang/lit:A
geog:B
Business:A*
spanish:B
RE:A*
music:C

yeah and ive got my place at college for biology,chemistery,maths and economics.

Could i get into medicine with these a levels or have i picked the wrong ones? Also what grades would i need at these a levels to do medicine, i'd go to any uni in the country.

thank you for your time.
izpenguin
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Those a levels would be suitable for medicine at pretty much any university in the UK. You will need to get AAA at least at A2, though.
With regard to your GCSEs, some universities will want good GCSEs, some won't mind. Just do your best and try to get as good a grades as possible to keep your options open.
ceeintee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pretty much following on from what Izpenguin said.

AAA at A Level (some may want A*AA), and your A Levels are perfectly fine. I think try and get more A*s if possible, because it may surprise when you're at my stage and finally realise how much A*s some med schools actually want. I got 5 A*s, and I'm actually on the lower end of the spectrum for many unis, for example Cardiff! Just focus on your GCSEs for now, and do the best you can! Good luck!
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by ceeintee)
Pretty much following on from what Izpenguin said.

AAA at A Level (some may want A*AA), and your A Levels are perfectly fine. I think try and get more A*s if possible, because it may surprise when you're at my stage and finally realise how much A*s some med schools actually want. I got 5 A*s, and I'm actually on the lower end of the spectrum for many unis, for example Cardiff! Just focus on your GCSEs for now, and do the best you can! Good luck!
Thanks, this is good advice as im hopefully gonna get 4/5 A* as well.
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
i think more A* at gcse will help
choices are good.
em.d_4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by whydoidothis?)
well im in year 11 and il be done with my gcse's soon enough, i know its a bit early to start thinking about medicine but i would really like to do it yet im not sure if my grades would cut it.

Ive looked at some unis that do medicine and they want quite good gcse grades, ive only done bilogy so far, my targets are:

maths:A*
Chem:A
Physics:A
Biology:A (i got an A*)
english lang/lit:A
geog:B
Business:A*
spanish:B
RE:A*
music:C

yeah and ive got my place at college for biology,chemistery,maths and economics.

Could i get into medicine with these a levels or have i picked the wrong ones? Also what grades would i need at these a levels to do medicine, i'd go to any uni in the country.

thank you for your time.
The facts are that.providing you get AAA at a2 you're fine academically in the long run. Only issue is getting an interview in the first place could be tough with.those gcses so you'd want to select unis who dont emphasise gcses and look more at as grades or predicted ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (31)
22.79%
The paper was reasonable (56)
41.18%
Not feeling great about that exam (27)
19.85%
It was TERRIBLE (22)
16.18%

Watched Threads