Anyone knows what is the correct thing to do in the following situation while? Watch

Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
It's been a while since I took my driving test.

Situation :- Say you're doing 70mph on a motorway, usual traffic on the left lane. (For the purpose of this discussion, it will be specific to UK only therefore car is RHD and we are driving on the left side of the road) and it is 3 lanes plus a hard shoulder.

All of a sudden the vehicle develops a fault and goes into "Limp home mode" meaning it can only be driven on 1st gear at a max of 20mph.

You have just passed a junction around 1/4 mile ago and in around 3/4 of a mile traffic will be merging from the left to join the motorway and where you are at there isn't a hard shoulder or at least the hard shoulder isn't wide enough to park and be safely out of the traffic or if you get close enough to the side to be out of harm's way you wouldn't be able to to open the nearside door due to the crash barrier.

What would or are you supposed to do?
SillyEddy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No doubt there will be a lot of "well you should do this" and "you can't do that", but in the moment it's probably just best to do what makes the most sense and is still safe enough for the traffic around you.

Personally, I'd keep going as well as I could (coasting if I needed to) and rapidly get over to the left lane. You can use hazard lights on a motorway to indicate there's a hazard ahead, but you should only keep them on as long as it takes to get the warning across. In this case, I'd be tempted to keep them on as you are the hazard and nothing much is improving.

Then, just keep going until you can adequately pull over and get out on the passenger door (climb across) and call for assistance. Avoid going near the motorway as there is a large chance of death. Also avoid putting down a warning triangle on a motorway, just get out and get away from the car.
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's a minimum speed limit on the motorway - usually 40mph.
You need to get to the hard shoulder, pull up, call your breakdown and get behind the crash barrier where it's safe.
spyka
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Unless the tarmac has eroded, from 70MPH you'll be able to cruise for a fair bit before things start getting dangerous.

First things first, move over to as far left as possible.

If it is possible to get the car clear of the motorway, even if it means mounting something, then do so. Exiting via the driver's dor isn't too much of an issue really as you can wait for a gap in the traffic.

If there is absolutely no way to get the car safely off the motorway then get as far over as possible, stick ALL lights - including rear fog lights - on, together with hazards to make yourself as visible as possible.

Use arm signals (waving up and down) to warn vehicles behind you that you're slowing down/going slow (although I doubt most drivers will know what it means, it will hopefully at least alert them to your presence)

Continue onwards only as far as to be able to clear the motorway to the left. Even on motorways without hard shoulders, there will be somewhere to pull into eventually.

If you do decide to stop (and even if you do manage to get clear of the main carriageway) keep your lights and hazards on and get well clear.

Of course, all of the above will depend a lot on the exact road and traffic conditions, etc.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
There's a minimum speed limit on the motorway - usually 40mph.
You need to get to the hard shoulder, pull up, call your breakdown and get behind the crash barrier where it's safe.
There is??
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Alfissti)
There is??
Well, not on all motorways... but doing 20mph in the crawler lane is a great way to get rear ended.

Ever noticed these dotted around? This is a minimum speed sign.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (31)
22.79%
The paper was reasonable (56)
41.18%
Not feeling great about that exam (27)
19.85%
It was TERRIBLE (22)
16.18%

Watched Threads