Help me with my A-Level choices Watch

staticas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I think I want to be an English language teacher, a french teacher or teach english as a foreign language, as I really enjoy both subjects. My chosen sixth form (at my current school) don't have many subjects to choose from, there are 40 courses to choose from altogether (including BTEC's, and courses that I am unable to study as you need them at GCSE).

I think I'm taking English Language, English Literature, and French. What subject would be wise to take as my 4th option (it may only be carried to AS)? Other than Sciences, I don't like those. I was originally thinking of Maths as my 4th subject, but I've been told it's really hard and I don't want to hate sixth form. Unfortunately ICT and Media Studies aren't offered (ICT is offered at BTEC) as I might have been more likely to choose one of those. From the top of my head, the possibilities included Business studies, Economics, and General studies.. None of those sound exciting but I think I could be a little swung towards Economics as it sounds kind of mathematical, but it probably isn't.. Any advice? Especially if you took Business or economics and could tell me what's involved.

A careers advisor told my friend it's better to take a BTEC as your 4th option if you're in the Academic band (Academic band take atleast 3 A-Levels and Vocational band can only take 1 A-Level) as it's easier to keep on top of. But I think she might have been told that because she struggles with most subjects, I think I want to do another A-Level atleast to AS. Also, I haven't heard of universities preferring a BTEC over an A/AS Level so I want to choose another A-Level.
itsamberariamay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Maths is not hard. Personally, I think the transition from GCSE to A level is easier for Maths than the other Sciences.

I think you should take Maths. All the subjects that you are initially taking are essay type subjects and if you add Business Studies/ Economics, it would only add more to that. If I were you, I would take Maths. General Studies is not considered a facilitating subject by most universities.

Have you thought about taking Psychology or Sociology? It might help if you want to become a teacher.
nguyenj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with the following post with regards to the fact that you have taken a lot of essay based subjects. I do psychology myself at A level and it's a pretty much essays as well. However, since you're only thinking about doing it for AS, I would advise psychology - it's really interesting and it almost helps with your perception of society.

I wouldn't advise you to take psychology onto A2 though (unless it turns out that you really love it). It's a lot more essays at A2 level just like sociology.

My honest opinion would be to do 3 A levels. I wish I only did 3 because it's not until you start it that you realise how hard A level is compared to GCSEs. It's a big jump and it really makes me wish the bridge between GCSE and A level was closer sometimes.

Yeah, universities might not prefer BTEC over A levels, but it still accounts for something, you know? You can also take it into account when doing your UCAS form and use that experience to your advantage.

But overall, you never know. Things change and you may find yourself developing a passion for something else entirely.

Good luck and take care
cookiecrumblexx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it would be in your best interest to do a science or maths subject to balance your essay styled a levels . this will show that you are a well rounded person which is attractive to many universities
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (51)
14.17%
The paper was reasonable (180)
50%
Not feeling great about that exam... (88)
24.44%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
11.39%

Watched Threads