Is my boyfriend overweight? Watch

natasherrrrr93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey! He's 20, 5'10" and weighs around 15 stone. He plays rugby, cycles and walks a lot so he keeps fit, but is that too much? His belly goes over a little!
maanimitchell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by natasherrrrr93)
Hey! He's 20, 5'10" and weighs around 15 stone. He plays rugby, cycles and walks a lot so he keeps fit, but is that too much? His belly goes over a little!
i dont thinks hes overweight especially with all the exercise he does i think hes propably just the right weight for his height so i dont think theres anything to worry about
i hope ive helped abit
x
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How are we supposed to know?! That could all be muscle, it could be fat. Does it matter? Or, more importantly, does it matter to the OP?

We'd (rightly) throw the book at a bloke who came in on here to call his girlfriend fat (in fact we did quite recently) so I think it's only fair to call out the OP here.

If he, or anyone else, is comfortable with their weight then everyone else should back off, including their partners.
desdemonata
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If he's healthy (which he sounds like he is because of the exercise he does) does it matter if his BMI technically states he's overweight? BMI is an awful way of determining that anyway, and muscle is heavier than fat.

He sounds fine. His belly is probably just because he eats large portion sizes - am I right?
chikane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes cause we are all doctors on here arent we!!
nexttime
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In the truest sense of the word, yes.

In a more useful sense, I imagine that unless he is very muscly he is very likely to be carrying a bit of excess fat, but can't be sure.

He doesn't sound unhealthy though, so i wouldn't worry about his health. His health obviously being your only motive for asking this question. Very nice of you for checking up on him.
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by desdemonata)
BMI is an awful way of determining that anyway, and muscle is heavier than fat.

Muslce is denser, not heavier.
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by techno-thriller)
Muslce is denser, not heavier.
And thus in terms of volume, a muscular person can have smaller measurements than an overweight person, but weigh more.

What I mean is, if you weigh a lot, it doesn't necessarily mean you're overweight because of fat, because you can weigh a lot being healthy and muscular.
In One Ear
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
And thus in terms of volume, a muscular person can have smaller measurements than an overweight person, but weigh more.

What I mean is, if you weigh a lot, it doesn't necessarily mean you're overweight because of fat, because you can weigh a lot being healthy and muscular.
He knew what you meant, he was just being pedantic .
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by In One Ear)
He knew what you meant, he was just being pedantic .
I know
beckaroo7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sounds like he could be. Depends how muscular he is really. Only you/him can say really. Sounds like he's healthy though
In One Ear
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know
Then don't rise to the bait .
voodoochild
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by natasherrrrr93)
I'm 5"10 and i'm 9 stone, 15 stone is very overweight.
PeaceTreaty
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by chikane)
Yes cause we are all doctors on here arent we!!
Right, so people now have to be doctors to say people are overweight, just like you need an English degree to post on a forum.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As a fellow 5'10" male who looked like this at only 12.5 stones: categorically yes.
McFlury
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
As a fellow 5'10" male who looked like this at only 12.5 stones: categorically yes.
You don't look 5'10" there, you are the one on that guys knee, right?
McFlury
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by voodoochild)
I'm 5"10 and i'm 9 stone, 15 stone is very overweight.
Sounds like you are a bit under weight to be fair.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by McFlury)
You don't look 5'10" there, you are the one on that guys knee, right?
Oh, you.
McFlury
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Oh, you.
haha, had to be said.
Little Wolf Taima
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lotus_Eater)
How are we supposed to know?! That could all be muscle, it could be fat. Does it matter? Or, more importantly, does it matter to the OP?

We'd (rightly) throw the book at a bloke who came in on here to call his girlfriend fat (in fact we did quite recently) so I think it's only fair to call out the OP here.

If he, or anyone else, is comfortable with their weight then everyone else should back off, including their partners.
I swear to god you talk more sense than anyone else on this site.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (3)
42.86%
The paper was reasonable (0)
0%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
14.29%
It was TERRIBLE (3)
42.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise