Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LucyCurtis)
Hey guys,

I'm beginning to make my choices for a-levels and i am considering Economics. Can anyone give me any information on specific things you may study. I am also considering Business Studies but apparently it is not widely respected?-Is this true. I'm either choosing business or economics so some pros and cons for each one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Economics is a fairly straight forwadish subject and is also my favourite

You learn basic micro and macro economics in AS, developing your ideas in A2. Exam technique is fairly simple, but also easy to slip up on. There isnt much change in technique when going from AS to A2.
Its a respected essay subject (even though at AS, theres 25/75 marks that are multiple choice o.O)
Jamie77
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Economics is like the actual study of markets and the way demand effects supply and other concepts (using diagrams aswell and such) while business is the more vocational of the two and is directly related to the setting up and running a business (like finances and learning about things like franchises and patents). I do both, which was a big mistake IMO haha, economics is more difficult but more interesting, while business is kinda easier but also quite boring at times. Your also right about Economics being much more respected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
lucas13
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
business is often seen as a soft subject which unis dont like. dont do econ and business as unis dont like this either and theyre very similar so theyre's not much point doing both. if you want to do a degree in business it may be better but otherwise not
closeenemies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lucas13)
business is often seen as a soft subject which unis dont like. dont do econ and business as unis dont like this either and theyre very similar so theyre's not much point doing both. if you want to do a degree in business it may be better but otherwise not
That's rubbish that uni's don't like it, what is that based on? I did both and got all my 5 offers and teachers told me that they complement eachother...
Jamie77
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You say its bad if you do both, I'm doing both at the moment would it not matter as much if I dropped business at AS and did Econ at A2? Is that better than doing both at A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
lucas13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by closeenemies)
That's rubbish that uni's don't like it, what is that based on? I did both and got all my 5 offers and teachers told me that they complement eachother...
based on what unis say on their websites, im not saying you cant get an offer but it is a bit harder. what unis are they anyway? are they top 10?
lucas13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jamie77)
You say its bad if you do both, I'm doing both at the moment would it not matter as much if I dropped business at AS and did Econ at A2? Is that better than doing both at A2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
that would be better yes, what other subjects are you doing?
cathrg26
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Based on replies from universities. York states on their website "In common with many other Economics departments, we will only accept either A level Economics or Business Studies, but not both, from candidates who are taking both.". Business Economics is a massive unit in Economics, it can almost be meshed together as one subject.
cathrg26
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are doing AQA or similar boards who will study Business Economics, I would definitely drop now. They tie in together too much.
Superunknown17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In regards to the Business/Economics combination, from my experiences unis weren't too bothered about it, I got 5 offers from 5 well respected unis and now I'm doing PPE at Manchester. Having said that, if you're applying to the higher tier universities such as Oxbridge, York, Durham, they may be less inclined to make an offer to someone with Econ and Business, they like to see diversity and for those unis they feel there's too much overlap.
Jamie77
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At the moment I'm studying Chemistry Biology Economics and Business

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jamie77
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cathrg26)
If you are doing AQA or similar boards who will study Business Economics, I would definitely drop now. They tie in together too much.
When you say drop now you mean at AS or just don't bother actually doing the subject at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jamie77
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Didn't really know what I was thinking when I did business, it looked interesting but I didn't know how soft it is and it's overlap with economics at the time, and it's too late to change now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
lucas13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Didn't really know what I was thinking when I did business, it looked interesting but I didn't know how soft it is and it's overlap with economics at the time, and it's too late to change now :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
your other subjects are fine so you should be ok
closeenemies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Based on replies from universities. York states on their website "In common with many other Economics departments, we will only accept either A level Economics or Business Studies, but not both, from candidates who are taking both.". Business Economics is a massive unit in Economics, it can almost be meshed together as one subject.
Okay well that university is an exception, I don't know of any other university's that follow that principle, and if there are others I wouldn't advise applying to them because the 2 A-Level's complement eachother.
cathrg26
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When you say drop now you mean at AS or just don't bother actually doing the subject at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you doing A2s? If you're on AS then I would drop Business now and take up maths. If you want an Economics, A+F degree or equivalent, you really should have maths. I wouldn't have business and Economics together at all just to be safe, but if you can't change it now don't worry. Just make sure you drop one of them next year. Also, Maths can always be taken next year. Discuss possibilities with teachers and your tutor if you've any concerns
cathrg26
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay well that university is an exception, I don't know of any other university's that follow that principle, and if there are others I wouldn't advise applying to them because the 2 A-Level's complement eachother.
LSE: "Subjects where the content is deemed to overlap, such as Economics and Business Studies, or English and Media Studies, should not be taken together, and as with all degrees at LSE, traditional subjects are preferred."

Warwick: "Applicants are encouraged to avoid combinations of subjects with significantly overlapping curricula such as Economics and Business Studies."

Bath: "Candidates offering the following types of narrow subject combinations are less likely to receive an offer: Business Studies and Economics"

Durham: "Applicants are encouraged to avoid studying both Economics and Business Studies A-Levels because of the significantly overlapping curricula."

etc.

Lots of universities state on their website, others will imply and encourage the studying of contrasting subjects. You wouldn't advise people to apply to universities that offer some of the best Economics degrees?
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LSE: "Subjects where the content is deemed to overlap, such as Economics and Business Studies, or English and Media Studies, should not be taken together, and as with all degrees at LSE, traditional subjects are preferred."

Warwick: "Applicants are encouraged to avoid combinations of subjects with significantly overlapping curricula such as Economics and Business Studies."

Bath: "Candidates offering the following types of narrow subject combinations are less likely to receive an offer: Business Studies and Economics"

Durham: "Applicants are encouraged to avoid studying both Economics and Business Studies A-Levels because of the significantly overlapping curricula."

etc.

Lots of universities state on their website, others will imply and encourage the studying of contrasting subjects. You wouldn't advise people to apply to universities that offer some of the best Economics degrees?
Lots of the high end universities yes. However to many people, these options are not 'realistic' even though they understand fully they are very good institutes. There's no point yapping at people who are in a stuck mud already. It's better to offer suggestions to work around it, otherwise your just not helping anyone.

Most AAB ish places will allow business and economics, on the condition that they drop one of them at AS. Heck I had only have maths, economics and psychology (no 4th AS) and I still got an offer from 4 years economics at surrey and 3 years at Southampton

Though they may not be Oxbridge, I like the courses they offer, the town and are very good universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
cathrg26
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jkizer)
Lots of the high end universities yes. However to many people, these options are not 'realistic' even though they understand fully they are very good institutes. There's no point yapping at people who are in a stuck mud already. It's better to offer suggestions to work around it, otherwise your just not helping anyone.

Most AAB ish places will allow business and economics, on the condition that they drop one of them at AS. Heck I had only have maths, economics and psychology (no 4th AS) and I still got an offer from 4 years economics at surrey and 3 years at Southampton

Though they may not be Oxbridge, I like the courses they offer, the town and are very good universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I accept that, they wanted my opinion on Business Studies and Economics and I gave it to them. I don't know what their aspirations are, I'm just laying it out there that if you want to go to the top ones, expect controversy surrounding you if the 2 are taken together. It will possibly put you at a slight disadvantage. Obviously if it's too late to change, then they'll just have to wait until A2s to drop.

I'm also supporting my point, that the two taken together is not a one off comment from York but it is actually fairly common. If 2 applicants had near identical academic backgrounds and passion conveyed, with the same grades at AS, but one had Bus and Econ together, while the other had contrasting relevant subjects. The latter has a better chance. There's no point dressing it up like there is no advantage.

People should also not be discouraged to apply to these universities because someone has dismissed them following opposing views on their subject policies. It's not yapping, it's called offering advice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (73)
21.73%
The paper was reasonable (148)
44.05%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
17.86%
It was TERRIBLE (55)
16.37%

Watched Threads