Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,
    I have recently started Economics and I want to develop my interest in the subject. I want recommendations for books which I can read and place in my UCAS form.

Books I have already have and in the 'will read' section:
    -Wealth of Nations (simplified and modernized version)
    -Freakonomics or SuperFreakonomics

I want um..more specifically, books which focus on a particular theory.

ReputationRep:
    Made In Britain - Why our economy is more successful than you think - Evan Davis.

I'm reading this now it talks about Economic history and how the UK got to where we are, and the global implications of economic theories. Talks about Contestability within global markets and effects on UK development. Overall a very good book, it was recommended to me by my economics teacher. I believe there's also a documentary about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Made In Britain - Why our economy is more successful than you think - Evan Davis.

I'm reading this now it talks about Economic history and how the UK got to where we are, and the global implications of economic theories. Talks about Contestability within global markets and effects on UK development. Overall a very good book, it was recommended to me by my economics teacher. I believe there's also a documentary about it.
    Thats good but OP
    (Original post by Hody421)
    xx.
    Don't put freakonomics on you're application anyone can understand it, try reading ' the good society' by JK Galbraith, adds some balance to you're reading list. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...e_Good_Society

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hody421)
    Hello guys,
    I have recently started Economics and I want to develop my interest in the subject. I want recommendations for books which I can read and place in my UCAS form.

Books I have already have and in the 'will read' section:
    -Wealth of Nations (simplified and modernized version)
    -Freakonomics or SuperFreakonomics

I want um..more specifically, books which focus on a particular theory.
    Check this list http://gregmankiw.blogspot.co.uk/200...ding-list.html .

Professor Mankiw is the chairman of Harvard's economic department and his macroeconomic textbook is widely taught in UK and US. His blog is also quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biblio)
    Thats good but OP

Don't put freakonomics on you're application anyone can understand it, try reading ' the good society' by JK Galbraith, adds some balance to you're reading list. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...e_Good_Society
    I was a bit disappointed by Professor Galbraith's book to be absolutely honest. My opinion is that he represents an out of dated form of keynesianism that promotes vulgar statism and extreme paternalism. End This Depression Now! and The Conscience of a Liberal from Krugman and Animal Spirits from Akerlof I think are better books for a less free market approach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicck)
    I was a bit disappointed by Professor Galbraith's book to be absolutely honest. My opinion is that he represents an out of dated form of keynesianism that promotes vulgar statism and extreme paternalism. End This Depression Now! and The Conscience of a Liberal from Krugman and Animal Spirits from Akerlof I think are better books for a less free market approach.
    I like Galbraith as he represents a strand of ... pragmatic liberalism not dogmatic (occupy wall street hippy etc). His views are a little dated yes, but I think the way in which he addresses issues is commendable and many of his points are ever more valid today due to the financial crisis. Personally I think the economy could do with a good dose of Keynesianism.. good keynesianism that is, not politics pissing the unborn generations pensions up the wall for short term electoral gain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biblio)
    I like Galbraith as he represents a strand of ... pragmatic liberalism not dogmatic (occupy wall street hippy etc). His views are a little dated yes, but I think the way in which he addresses issues is commendable and many of his points are ever more valid today due to the financial crisis. Personally I think the economy could do with a good dose of Keynesianism.. good keynesianism that is, not politics pissing the unborn generations pensions up the wall for short term electoral gain
    Public choice theory provides some quite convincing arguments why the so good keynesianism has and most probably will never emerge under the current system of representative democracy. I have read many books from extreme free market Austrian economics to extreme statist marxist economics and I am not still in a position to say for sure what would be the best economic policies. And when I use the term best I mean the approach that would result in the most efficient allocation of resources and the highest growth rate.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys all for suggestions! Gave everyone a rep btw.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 23, 2013

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.