Turn on thread page Beta

me and my ex decided to stay friends after we split about a year ago although we still like each other, my new boyfriend is going to have to meet him because we are going to a party being thrown by a mutual friend in a few weeks. not sure whether I should tell my boyfriend that one of my friends is my ex or just to leave it?

ReputationRep:
    I would tell him. It will most likely come up at some point or another, and you don't want it to look like you tried to hide it as that can give the wrong impression. Just warn him that he will be there. When it comes to actually introducing them face to face, just call your ex a friend (introducing them as your ex is just awkward).

Edit: wait, do you mean like as in you still get along, or like as in you still have feelings? If it's the latter, should you be going to this party at all?

ReputationRep:
    Tell him. It looks pretty suspicious if he finds out later on his own. If he trusts you then he should be ok with it.

I dated a guy for 4 years and we stayed friends afterwards. My current boyfriend has met him and they're actually getting on pretty well. My boyfriend has no reason to not trust me though

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you have to explicitly tell him, but you have to be prepared to tell him if he asks or if the subject comes round to it. Usually (for example) if you start discussing your personal histories.

I never told my boyfriend about two of my exes, just introduced them as 'friends.' Cause honestly if you're still friends with an ex I think they are more a friend than an ex. When he eventually found out, he didn't really care.

ReputationRep:
    A interesting problem, I like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    me and my ex decided to stay friends after we split about a year ago although we still like each other, my new boyfriend is going to have to meet him because we are going to a party being thrown by a mutual friend in a few weeks. not sure whether I should tell my boyfriend that one of my friends is my ex or just to leave it?
    What.

you still like each other yet you're dating someone else?

Sure, introduce them, it'll be fun. :perv:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    You and your ex still like each other...and you're dating someone else?

Very harsh on your current boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Advice: Don't

ReputationRep:
    It would be kind to let them both know in advance. That way if either of them has a problem with it, they can make their excuses and avoid the party. Being upfront about it is the adult thing to do and since you've got nothing to hide or be ashamed of, there shouldn't be much harm in it.

On the other hand, if you feel like your boyfriend is the jealous type and you elect not to tell him, at least ask your ex to keep things discreet so he doesn't screw things up inadvertently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah, this is a problem. It's not fair to be with your boyfriend whilst knowing you still have feelings for your ex; never mind actually introducing them to each other!

ReputationRep:
    This is such a bad idea I don't even know what to say to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Yeah, this is a problem. It's not fair to be with your boyfriend whilst knowing you still have feelings for your ex; never mind actually introducing them to each other!
    This, as well as you saying 'still like each other' suggesting you know your ex has feelings for you too. All of that is the real problem.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a happy ending to this...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    When you say 'still like,' what do you mean?

I 'still like' my ex; we get on extremely well. I wouldn't want to be in a relationship with him but we are still good friends.

If that is the case, just introduce them as friends. If you mean you still like like him, try and stay away. Hide your feelings if you really must talk to him, but still introduce as friends. How does your ex feel?

ReputationRep:
    If you still fancy your ex I'd say dating a new guy (especially while you're still tied up with your ex) is sort of a bad idea.

Otherwise just play it casual and introduce your ex as he is if it comes up: Your friend.

ReputationRep:
    Don't go to the party and never speak to your ex again, simple really.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.