Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Whats the MPG like on these and are they nice to drive?

ReputationRep:
    30-40MPG combined.

Nice to drive? They aren't bad for what they are though obviously there are better cars out there.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Alfissti)
    30-40MPG combined.

Nice to drive? They aren't bad for what they are though obviously there are better cars out there.
    Any idea what the 2.0 tdci does?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if I had driven a 2.0 tdci before as all previous encounters with a Focus had been a rental car.

Drove a Volvo C30 with that 2.0 D3 engine which is the same engine in a Focus 2.0TDCI, car is the same chassis as the Focus, definitely you will feel the difference as it has better torque.

Fuel economy doesn't differ by much especially on the motorway as the 2.0 has a 6 speed gearbox where the 1.6l is a 5speed. Definitely sounded less diesel like in 2.0l form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Whats the MPG like on these and are they nice to drive?
    Can't speak for the MPG as I have a gasoline one, but they are quite nice to drive. Literally no body roll around corners, slap some decent tyres on, and it handles like its on rails. (Assuming you get at least the Zetec trim level, which comes with the stiffer sports suspension.) Feels really solid. Steering has very good feedback too.

Edit: Regarding diesel engines:

*The 1.8TDCI is an older Ford unit with no DPF, and it is 8v, not 16v like the 1.6TDCI.

*The 1.8TDCI makes only 5 more extra horsepower from memory

*The 1.6TDCI has a DPF, and it is a PSA engine. Very low tax too.

*However the 1.8TDCI is generally regarded as being more reliable, and pretty much bulletproof. That is not to say that the 1.6 isn't good, it is, it gives good economy, and remaps are well worthwhile on them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not sure if I had driven a 2.0 tdci before as all previous encounters with a Focus had been a rental car.

Drove a Volvo C30 with that 2.0 D3 engine which is the same engine in a Focus 2.0TDCI, car is the same chassis as the Focus, definitely you will feel the difference as it has better torque.

Fuel economy doesn't differ by much especially on the motorway as the 2.0 has a 6 speed gearbox where the 1.6l is a 5speed. Definitely sounded less diesel like in 2.0l form.
    Insurance is cheap for the 2l too so I think I'll get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Insurance is cheap for the 2l too so I think I'll get it.
    Cheaper than the 1.6?? Really??? That's interesting.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Cheaper than the 1.6?? Really??? That's interesting.
    Its 10£ more per month.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.