Depression and teaching Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
hey,

I went to the doctors a few months ago and he said I had depression but said I should just go on self-help websites. (He doesn't know how bad my depression is; I was having an okay day when I went in and he said that because I can 'function normally' I'm okay )

I read somewhere that to become a teacher you have to prove that you are physically and mentally fit and I was wondering if this would be on my record and would prevent me from doing a teaching course?

Thank you
littlesmurfette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Firstly- if you feel your GP hasn't given you adequate advice/care, you need to make a complaint against him/her and see another GP for advice.

I've had severe depression- which caused me to drop out of college, go through 6 years of therapy and left me with a 2 year gap in my employment record and I got into university and then onto a PGCE

Naturally if you don't seek treatment for your illness (which is what it is) it will worsen and likely to affect you in the workplace which can become easily apparent.
Dopamine Dreams
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd see another doctor for another diagnosis and their opinion. Not saying you don't have depression, but the doctor that you originally saw doesn't sound too reliable… A clinical diagnosis of depression is very difficult to come to, there may be other underlying factors that haven't been considered.

For any doctor to give a diagnosis as serious as depression, and then just tell someone to read up online about it, is quite frankly disgusting.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ahh I see, yeah I want to go back and see him but it would mean telling my mum that it's gotten worse and I don't want to tell her...she came with me for my first appointment and it was rally awkward. Afterwards she asked me loads of questions but then stopped and now it's like she doesn't care so:/

Littlesmurfette: I'm so sorry to hear that, depression sucks! But at least you got onto a course

I want to be a teacher so badly, I just hope I that if I do qualify, my depression won't affect me!
beccaxheapes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've been diagnosed with depression. i'm currently studying to be an English teacher at uni, we had to fill out a medical form. I declared I had depression and all they asked was if it was under control. It shouldn't be a problem, so try not worry, and make sure you get the help you need
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (337)
15.64%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (466)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.35%

Watched Threads