Got offered AAB instead of BBB? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kitkatkathryn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Basically I got BCCa at As level and got predicted ABB. The uni I applied to was Swansea university with the typical offer of BBB according to their website and books for civil engineering. I wanted this uni to be my insurance because I thought I would be offered ABB/BBB, now I really don't know what to do! All the other unis I applied to are ABB's and one CC but I wouldn't be happy going there :/ what should I do?
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kitkatkathryn)
Basically I got BCCa at As level and got predicted ABB. The uni I applied to was Swansea university with the typical offer of BBB according to their website and books for civil engineering. I wanted this uni to be my insurance because I thought I would be offered ABB/BBB, now I really don't know what to do! All the other unis I applied to are ABB's and one CC but I wouldn't be happy going there :/ what should I do?
work your arse off and make the grades!
Jkizer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A quick google of what i believed you have done confirmed my predictions

You applied for Meng instead of Beng -.-
cambo211
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Carry on as normal?

If you used your 5 choices then there's nothing else you can do. It sounds like you already wasted a choice on a university you would never want to go to, so all you can do is pick a firm and insurance from the remaining offers you have and work to get those grades.

Why did you apply for the CC uni if you have no intention of going there?
nic-nac
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Typical offers are just an average of what the do offer. If you're predicted higher than they are well within their right to make a higher offer. This happened with all of my choices which had lower typical offers than my predicted grades. In the end I went for quite a high offer. I didn't actually meet it, but because my grades were within their typical offer and its only a mid ranking uni, they still let me in.
RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They called your bluff mate. You should have thought twice before going up one on your predictions.

Although seriously, I think you should wait till you get all your offers in. I got an offer two grades below the standard offer. You might get lucky and get a low one from one of your other Unis.
SirVeillance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you sure you didn't apply for MEng?
MEng is AAB, BEng is BBB...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kitkatkathryn
Rep:
?
I double checked my ucas and I definitely put Beng, :'(
officelinebacker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jkizer)
A quick google of what i believed you have done confirmed my predictions

You applied for Meng instead of Beng -.-
Utter bull****.

Without seeing this persons application there is no way to tell from the information they have given you whether they applied for the MEng or BEng.

The standard offer for the MEng may well be AAB, but that doesn't tell you anything. It's not at all uncommon for Universities to make an offer to a student which is higher than their predicted grades. Large numbers of applicants and not many places means that Universities would be in a tricky situation if everybody they made an offer to got the required grades, so by making offers that are higher than a students predicted grades they essentially whittle their intake down to those who are prepared to really put in the work, and exceed expectations.
officelinebacker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pretty much wrote this a minute ago, but just quoting you to make sure you get it.

What they have done is pretty standard practice now. Universities give out far more offers than they have places, and so they would be in a pretty tricky situation if all of the offers they give are met by the applicants. So by making large numbers of offers which are higher than the predicted grades of the applicants, it first of all flat out reduces the number of students who meet the offer, thus ensuring that the course is not going to be massively over-subscribed, and it means that the students who do make their offer have shown that they are prepared to knuckle down and really work hard to exceed expectations, which is something that Universities really want in their students.
Jkizer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by officelinebacker)
Utter bull****.

Without seeing this persons application there is no way to tell from the information they have given you whether they applied for the MEng or BEng.

The standard offer for the MEng may well be AAB, but that doesn't tell you anything. It's not at all uncommon for Universities to make an offer to a student which is higher than their predicted grades. Large numbers of applicants and not many places means that Universities would be in a tricky situation if everybody they made an offer to got the required grades, so by making offers that are higher than a students predicted grades they essentially whittle their intake down to those who are prepared to really put in the work, and exceed expectations.
Really doubt that if someone put BEng down which is offered at BBB, they will offer AAB. Unless there are certain terms or subject requirements which would force an increase in the grade requirements. Even then so, subject requirements usually only typically push up the grade requirement by 1.

I suggest r ringing Swansea university admissions up. I'm sure they will clear up the issues caused. Probably a mistake on their part.
SirVeillance
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jkizer)
Really doubt that if someone put BEng down which is offered at BBB, they will offer AAB. Unless there are certain terms or subject requirements which would force an increase in the grade requirements. Even then so, subject requirements usually only typically push up the grade requirement by 1.

I suggest r ringing Swansea university admissions up. I'm sure they will clear up the issues caused. Probably a mistake on their part.
What this guy said..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kitkatkathryn
Rep:
?
Ok thanks for the advice guys, I think I'll talk to my head of sixth form about it, I was a few UMS off ABCa, I got my first choice which is ABB and I think I can get it, I've been working really hard and I've made a good start. I understand that it's most probably due to the amount of people who applied, it's just weird how the uni that offered me ABB is like 14th in the uni rankings and like 8th for my subject. And Swansea offered me AAB and they are like 50th in the uni rankings and like 14th for my subject :/ I really appreciate all the help and advice! I wish I could reply properly to all the posts but my phone is not co operating

Posted from TSR Mobile
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Universities can make any offer to any candidate. It may be that the university has had a lot of MEng applications this year, so has moved the weaker applicants to the BEng course, and put their standard offer up. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it now.

If you don't think you will make the offer, then obviously don't accept the offer!

This is the reason I advise people to apply for at least two sensible insurances places they would be happy going to, though.

There's not a lot you can do now, except wait and see what other offers you get. It might be one of them will offer low.

. I would advise you NOT to put the university asking for CC down as an insurance choice if you would be unhappy going there. If you miss your firm offer, you will only have to ask to be released from it on results day, in order to enter clearing and this will waste your time.
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
Should've chosen ones you wanted to go to ineh.
Kitkatkathryn
Rep:
?
Yeah that makes sense, Yeah I don't think I'll put the CC one as my insurance.

It's not that I don't like the other unis I applied too, I actually like them and wouldn't mind going to the others it's just that they are similar entry requirements at ABB. That's the only issue really. That's why when I applied to Swansea, which I really liked, I thought that the entry requirements were obtainable but apparently not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what to do!

(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
Universities can make any offer to any candidate. It may be that the university has had a lot of MEng applications this year, so has moved the weaker applicants to the BEng course, and put their standard offer up. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it now.
Whilst SLI is technically correct, this one doesn't feel right. Swansea is not a fashionable university or city. It is unlikely to have sudden unexpected demand,. Indeed one would put money on it being one of the "squeezed middle" of universities hit by changes in funding policy in England. Moreover, if correct not only has seemingly the offer been increased over the published standard one but it is also above the OP's predicted grades. If Swansea had been swamped with applicants, one would have expected the OP to be odds on favourite for an outright rejection given that her predictions did not match the new offer.

It seems more probable that a mistake has been made. I think this is one for your head of VIth to make a phone call. It would come better from him. If you phone you might just get a sarcastic departmental secretary. They will at least have to be polite and listen to him.
AdamskiUK
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lolz.

You shouldn't have had your predicteds bumped up if you weren't confident in being able to achieve them.

I applied for med with AAA instead of everybody else shooting straight for A*s because I know they're making offers based on predicteds more and more. Why put yourself in such a spot when your standard grades will do? They don't look down on you for it.
Ak4753
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Surprised by that offer. However, I feel as though you could drop two grades and they'd still take you. obviously, work your ass off, but I don't think they're as strict as other unis with those requirements. That place would potentially be in clearing anyway.
Lady Jamie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Ak4753)
Surprised by that offer. However, I feel as though you could drop two grades and they'd still take you. obviously, work your ass off, but I don't think they're as strict as other unis with those requirements. That place would potentially be in clearing anyway.
I agree.

OP - just in case you are still resitting after 4 years, keep trying! You WILL get that AAB eventually
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (163)
22.27%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (137)
18.72%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.48%

Watched Threads