Turn on thread page Beta

Is this fair? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so BASICALLY I started working as an 8hours a week checkout girl at my local homebase in may of this year. Everything was going fine, I got to grips with the tills, I helped customers find things, I was often told how helpful I was by customers also.

I was told I would be on probation for 3 months and I had a review every 3 weeks or so (they weren't really routine.) In my reviews I was told I was doing well, I had settled in well and that my manager could see I was chatting to customers, putting things in bags for them etc. The only thing she said was to basically keep up the good work and make sure that I'm always smiling.

Until one day I swapped my shift a week in advance with someone I worked with (who happened to be the daughter of the regional manager:confused:) I informed my other colleague on the front desk who should have written it in the rota book. Anyway, the day of my swapped shift came and I started getting phone calls from my manager which were really rather nasty and ****ty, saying that the girl I had swapped with hadn't turned up so basically it was my fault. I turned up to work and ended up getting docked 2 hours pay. I got a lecture of making sure I inform management of shift swaps (I have never had to do this previously) but just to make sure it didn't happen again. I was also told that the girl i was meant to swap with was told my another manager just to do her assigned shift, who then would have known that I would have been under the impression I'd swapped and that I wouldn't be coming in, and no one informed me. :confused:

The next day, half way through my shift i was called in for my review (but i'd been working there 4 months at this point) and I was dismissed. My manager told me all of a sudden that she didn't think the job was for me, that i looked bored, that I was quite hungover (I had a headache once, AND IT WAS A WORK NIGHT OUT, SO EVERYONE ELSE WAS THE SAME!!) But I never let this affect my work. She also said customers had complained about me which I know is fabricated because previously when customers had complained we were ALL reprimanded the next day regardless of who was involved. What she was saying did not seem to make sense compared to my other reviews, and I was never told that I had to improve drastically or I would be dismissed. It seemed as though she did not have a real reason. I do wonder if it was linked to the botched shift swap, yet the week before another girl didn't bother to turn up all weekend yet she got to keep her job.

I cannot help but feel like this stinks a bit. What are your thoughts...

ReputationRep:
    That's unfair, but, I got perma banned for one mistake, and despite my many accounts, I'm still not allowed back on the forum.

ReputationRep:
    Double post

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bit sexist isn't it. Can't males be on check outs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smartcook)
    Bit sexist isn't it. Can't males be on check outs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There was male staff but they weren't relevant

ReputationRep:
    Very unfair. You have every right to be annoyed.

Irritating as it is, I think you just have to say '**** them'. At the very least always shop at B&Q in the future.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.