Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I am applying to Goldsmiths and Surrey Uni and initially wanted (if i get the offers) to put Surrey as my firm and Goldsmiths as my insurance. However, reading up on Goldsmiths, I found out 400 people were left without accommodation due to late applications and this has left me worried as you cannot apply for accommodation until that offer is unconditional. Whereas, Surrey guarantee first years accommodation. Would I be able to put Goldsmiths as my firm and Surrey as my insurance in order to guarantee accommodation? And would it be possible to reject my firm if I decided I wanted to go Surrey?

So confused!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emlou1)
    Hi, so I am applying to Goldsmiths and Surrey Uni and initially wanted (if i get the offers) to put Surrey as my firm and Goldsmiths as my insurance. However, reading up on Goldsmiths, I found out 400 people were left without accommodation due to late applications and this has left me worried as you cannot apply for accommodation until that offer is unconditional. Whereas, Surrey guarantee first years accommodation. Would I be able to put Goldsmiths as my firm and Surrey as my insurance in order to guarantee accommodation? And would it be possible to reject my firm if I decided I wanted to go Surrey?

So confused!
    You can't reject your firm in order to go to your insurance on results day. Well, not easily, anyway. If you meet the conditions of your firm offer, then your insurance will probably allocate your place to someone else. You can ask to be released from your firm and accepted into your insurance via clearing, but this is time consuming, and if Surrey has no spaces, they won't allow you to do this.

There are private halls near Goldsmiths, so if you do miss out on accomadation, you could apply for one of these.

ReputationRep:

So confused!
    It would be silly to put a uni as your first choice just so you can get into halls. And Goldsmiths can't guarentee accomodation to even firm choice students, just they get priority, so you could loose out either way.

ReputationRep:

So confused!
    If you were left without accommodation at Lampeter or at the Stromness campus of UHI, this might be a serious problem. However, you are worrying about lack of accommodation in London. You are not going to be sleeping under the bridges. The worst case is that you end up paying a bit more than you were hoping to do.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.