Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I sent my application off around 1 week ago to: Edinburgh, Manchester, Surrey, Queen Mary (London) and Kent. So far I've received 3 offers from Manchester, Surrey and Kent. I doubt I will be offered a place from Edinburgh since they are really competitive and Queen Mary was a safe choice. From the 3 universities I have received offers from which would you choose? Surrey has the highest league table 'rank' for economics but Manchester is a well established Russell Group uni.

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited them all? Which did you prefer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Have you visited them all? Which did you prefer?
    I haven't visited any of them, but I've read about them, looked at the different types of accommodation and whether if it's a campus university or not etc. They all look equally as good but I still don't know which ones to chose.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for one of Manc, Edinburgh or QM. Probably Manc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soft Cat)
    I'd go for one of Manc, Edinburgh or QM. Probably Manc.
    I think I'll end up going for Manchester or (Edinburgh if they give me the offer), However, Surrey looks really good for economics compared to the others, they were ranked 2nd last year and are top 15 in overall rankings, but the only downside is that they aren't Russell group. Kent will probably be my insurance choice since they ask for the lowest grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K0ch)
    I think I'll end up going for Manchester or (Edinburgh if they give me the offer), However, Surrey looks really good for economics compared to the others, they were ranked 2nd last year and are top 15 in overall rankings, but the only downside is that they aren't Russell group. Kent will probably be my insurance choice since they ask for the lowest grades.
    Overall reputation is the most important. Employers don't look at league tables and they will only go by the reputation. Manchester is a great uni, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitrogen)
    Overall reputation is the most important. Employers don't look at league tables and they will only go by the reputation. Manchester is a great uni, go for it.
    Yeah I think they'll be my first choice now (Or Edinburgh if i get the offer).

ReputationRep:
    Manchester and Edinburgh have the strongest reputations of all your choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K0ch)
    I haven't visited any of them, but I've read about them, looked at the different types of accommodation and whether if it's a campus university or not etc. They all look equally as good but I still don't know which ones to chose.
    I'd really strongly recommend that you do visit them. Honestly, I found it invaluable to be able to get a feel for the universities. If there's a post offer visit day, then that would be ideal, but if not then Manchester offers an accommodation tour (weds mornings) and a non-subject-specific guided tour (weds afternoon). Let me know if you want the details. Other unis will have something similar, but I don't know the specifics.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 20, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.