Turn on thread page Beta

Freedom of speech =/= ******* pass watch

ReputationRep:
    People seem to use 'freedom of speech' as a means of rationalising some snarky unneeded comment. What IS freedom of speech? Can we just say anything about anything or is grossly misinterpreted?

ReputationRep:
    No such thing, just a blurred line drawn by the law, society and media.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech should mean the benefit of all doubt goes to the speaker in regards to sanctioning or censoring. Unfortunately, no nation's laws actually permit that standard. Some come closer than others though, and they should be emulated.

ReputationRep:
    It is a very good excuse for very bad behaviour!

ReputationRep:
    We should allow freedom of speech to extend to anything that can be conceived. Then it would fulfil its definition by name. We do have the power to say what we wish, however we are limited by perceived consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extremotroph)
    We should allow freedom of speech to extend to anything that can be conceived. Then it would fulfil its definition by name. We do have the power to say what we wish, however we are limited by perceived consequences.
    So you wouldn't think there should be any sanction if I went round telling all your neighbours you are a notorious peadophile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mankytoes)
    So you wouldn't think there should be any sanction if I went round telling all your neighbours you are a notorious peadophile?
    Go for it. I have a good relationship with my neighbours and I can always do the same to you. Luckily I have a son who's willing to testify against your sick child touching ways. A happy day for freedom of speech.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what your Mum and Dad let you say. I can sometimes say the f word and get away with it if I'm lucky...

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with 'snarky and unneeded'. 'Inciting hatred and violence', more so.

That's about it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
    People seem to use 'freedom of speech' as a means of rationalising some snarky unneeded comment. What IS freedom of speech? Can we just say anything about anything or is grossly misinterpreted?
    Freedom of speech is not being arrested or censored by the authorities for saying things they don't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    Freedom of speech is not being arrested or censored by the authorities for saying things they don't like.
    Would you want an imam who gave sermons on the benefits of terrorism and supported it in his mosque, would you want him arrested? Do you think the authorities would like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Would you want an imam who gave sermons on the benefits of terrorism and supported it in his mosque, would you want him arrested? Do you think the authorities would like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldn't want him arrested, no (this seems like a loaded question though for some reason).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felamaslen)
    I wouldn't want him arrested, no (this seems like a loaded question though for some reason).
    Fair enough. I suppose you're right actually when I think about it about a crazy imam. It would probably create another 10,and if one of them gets arrested, another 10 etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ggmu!)
    Fair enough. I suppose you're right actually when I think about it about a crazy imam. It would probably create another 10,and if one of them gets arrested, another 10 etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A healthy society is one which does not feel the need to ban any kind of speech, anyway. Hate speech is such an ambiguous term and so ready for abuse by people claiming that innocuous speech is "hate speech", that I really do think it would be best if we had some firm legislation ensuring that nothing other than blatant lies (libel) can get you into any major trouble.

ReputationRep:
    We need freedom of speech to make a mockery of those who think they can limit our freedoms!

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. I have a good relationship with my neighbours and I can always do the same to you. Luckily I have a son who's willing to testify against your sick child touching ways. A happy day for freedom of speech.
    Freedom of speech is really about free expression, not legalising fraud and slander.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech is really about free expression, not legalising fraud and slander.
    One man's slander is another man's legitimate question. e.g. Is the Quran really the word of God? Did 6 million Jews really die in the Holocaust? Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, if you are not free to say as you like, including "slander" which will yield consequences like any action or use of speech will, then it is not freedom of speech, but mind control.

ReputationRep:
    One man's slander is another man's legitimate question. e.g. Is the Quran really the word of God? Did 6 million Jews really die in the Holocaust? Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, if you are not free to say as you like, including "slander" which will yield consequences like any action or use of speech will, then it is not freedom of speech, but mind control.
    If you think challenging those statements is slander you don't know what slander is.

ReputationRep:
    If you think challenging those statements is slander you don't know what slander is.
    If you think a demonstration regarding the subjective nature of the perception of concepts, in this case, the concept of slander, "is a challenge on those statements", then potato.

Why are you disagreeing with freedom, man.

ReputationRep:
    Freedom of speech may give someone the right to be an ******* but it also gives people the right to challenge that *******.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.