The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Bit early?!
Reply 3
Original post by NewtoTSR
Bit early?!

It's never too early.
Reply 4
Hi .... Glad I found a thread about this, let's get prepare for the exam. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Anyone have the idea of how to tackle the 15marks and 20marks question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
glad i found this haha, been looking for one! is it just me that's absolutely bricking it for this exam? Strangely enough that 15 mark essay is the one i really do not like at all, can never seem to write enough for them! how many pages would anyone say is appropriate?

also does anyone have the June 2013 paper?
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi everyone! I'm taking the exam this summer and have a quick question regarding OCR and the A* grade. I'm predicted an A* in OCR A2 Economics, though I'm not convinced I will get it at the moment. However, I completed a past paper for F583 and scored 51 or 52 (I can't remember), my teacher told me that in a real exam that would be an A* due to the low grade boundaries for this particular paper.

I always thought that A*s were awarded to students who scored 90%+ average in A2 on raw marks, eg 54/60 and above. Am I right in saying my teacher is mistaken, or are A*s awarded at the 90 UMS point (if so, you will have made my day)?
Original post by Fas
glad i found this haha, been looking for one! is it just me that's absolutely bricking it for this exam? Strangely enough that 15 mark essay is the one i really do not like at all, can never seem to write enough for them! how many pages would anyone say is appropriate?

also does anyone have the June 2013 paper?

Hey Fas, do you have your insurance and firm now? (I knew you were thinking of firming Bath some time ago.)

Personally I love the 15 markers, and I think, with enough practice, I can get my head around the level 4 and level 4 + comments on the 20 markers. My weakness is on the wording of the shorter questions.

Case in point, there was a question that read something like 'provide and explain two examples of how wage costs increase' (6 marks). I was told by my teacher that using supply and demand of labour analysis wouldn't be good enough, and OCR were looking for how firms' total wage costs increase... OCR pedantry is at it again :/. Hopefully no spectacularly ambiguous questions this year!
Original post by lisa96
I normally write about a page and a half. It's not meant to be long, you can easily get 12 marks by just drawing a diagram and analysing it.

All the pastpapers are on this website: http://sccecon.weebly.com/unit-3-past-papers.html :smile:

ahh ok, yeah one and a half is usually what i hit, always get 10/15 on every single one i do without fail :tongue:

ahh ok thanks a lot! i think i should be ok for this exam despite the fact im bricking it hahaha due to the low grade boundaries, its the global economy which i find easier to learn but harder :tongue:
Original post by Pro Crastination
Hey Fas, do you have your insurance and firm now? (I knew you were thinking of firming Bath some time ago.)

Personally I love the 15 markers, and I think, with enough practice, I can get my head around the level 4 and level 4 + comments on the 20 markers. My weakness is on the wording of the shorter questions.

Case in point, there was a question that read something like 'provide and explain two examples of how wage costs increase' (6 marks). I was told by my teacher that using supply and demand of labour analysis wouldn't be good enough, and OCR were looking for how firms' total wage costs increase... OCR pedantry is at it again :/. Hopefully no spectacularly ambiguous questions this year!

hey man i do indeed, ive firmed Bath! how about yourself?

yeah im getting good at the 20 markers now especially if it's one of those " to what extent is a leisure industry of your choice oligopolistic " or along those lines! Leisure markets is probably my stronger side on this exam, so im kinda hoping that whole section A is leisure market based haha.

yeah i remember doing that question in a past paper or something very similar, it's stupid how you could give an economically correct reason yet its marked wrong because it's not on the mark-scheme! yeah for that one i think you had to explain state that it would be either a change in the wage rate or a change in the no. of workers working for the firm ( or is it productivity? ) and then develop on those two reasons (because i think a firms wage cost is worked out by the wage rate x no.of workers although im not sure)
Original post by Fas
hey man i do indeed, ive firmed Bath! how about yourself?

Firmed Bath a couple of weeks ago now! I was in love with the place and the course when I first visited last summer, so I had been itching to get my offer back from Notts (who didn't give me anything to insure with, A*AA :mad: offer that I had to reject instead of a nice AAA one to insure with) to allow me to firm with Bath.

Also, if you need any help content wise, I was emailed this by my teacher a couple of weeks ago. It was written by a student from last year who had wayyy too much time on his hands - note, he did manage to score A*A*A*A*, though, so it's probably quite good.
Firmed Bath a couple of weeks ago now! I was in love with the place and the course when I first visited last summer, so I had been itching to get my offer back from Notts (who didn't give me anything to insure with, A*AA :mad: offer that I had to reject instead of a nice AAA one to insure with) to allow me to firm with Bath.

Also, if you need any help content wise, I was emailed this by my teacher a couple of weeks ago. It was written by a student from last year who had wayyy too much time on his hands - note, he did manage to score A*A*A*A*, though, so it's probably quite good.

deeeeeecent! agreed, it's a top place to study at, which accommodation you thinking of? hahaha yeah same, Nottingham gave me an A*AA one which ive had to reject, but i think that was good because i think with an AAA insurance i'd probably not have as much motivation to get A*AA :tongue:

ah yeah that revision guide is quite useful! thanks for sharing :smile:
Reply 13
Hi everyone! I'm taking the exam this summer and have a quick question regarding OCR and the A* grade. I'm predicted an A* in OCR A2 Economics, though I'm not convinced I will get it at the moment. However, I completed a past paper for F583 and scored 51 or 52 (I can't remember), my teacher told me that in a real exam that would be an A* due to the low grade boundaries for this particular paper.

I always thought that A*s were awarded to students who scored 90%+ average in A2 on raw marks, eg 54/60 and above. Am I right in saying my teacher is mistaken, or are A*s awarded at the 90 UMS point (if so, you will have made my day)?

It's 90UMS.
Just like 80 UMS can vary with respect to the raw mark grade boundary- same will happen to the 90 UMS barrier!
Original post by RebelV005
It's 90UMS.
Just like 80 UMS can vary with respect to the raw mark grade boundary- same will happen to the 90 UMS barrier!

Yey! Thanks.
gonna call it now - that first section of the paper is gonna be based on leisure markets, with the essays being a choice of labour market stuff.
Original post by Fas
gonna call it now - that first section of the paper is gonna be based on leisure markets, with the essays being a choice of labour market stuff.

That would be good. A few brief questions about how the source fits with the definition of a monopoly, a question about the objectives of businesses, a really simple data response question and an 8 mark 'comment' question asking us to comment on whether a given market is monopolistically competitive. This is followed by a 15 marker concerning how an increase in the NMW could cause labour market failure, followed by a 20 marker concerning marginal revenue product theory. Full marks all the way! A*, get into Bath, life will be good! One can hope ^_^
That would be good. A few brief questions about how the source fits with the definition of a monopoly, a question about the objectives of businesses, a really simple data response question and an 8 mark 'comment' question asking us to comment on whether a given market is monopolistically competitive. This is followed by a 15 marker concerning how an increase in the NMW could cause labour market failure, followed by a 20 marker concerning marginal revenue product theory. Full marks all the way! A*, get into Bath, life will be good! One can hope ^_^

thats pretty much my dream exam hahaha. wouldn't mind some stuff on labour market flexibility/failure coming up aswell, in terms of essays! This exam has probably got the harder material to learn than the F585 one, but i probably stand a good chance of hitting 90 UMS on this one, a significantly better chance than on F585, dunno why thats the case!
---
(edited 9 years ago)
So I guess you would be able to guess atleast 1 of the 3 15+20 markers?

Latest

Trending

Trending