should more British players move aboard? Watch

hbk4894
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Tony in Blackburn believes "more English players should move abroad". Do you think this would benefit the England team? #BBC606 #ENG

this was on the 606 twitter page.

it is an a good question , you always see players from France , Italy , Germany , Spain , Holland etc moving from country to country at ease where as with England apart from only on a hand full of occasions has that happened.

so what do you think , should more move aboard?
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by hbk4894)
it is an a good question , you always see players from France , Italy , Germany , Spain , Holland etc moving from country to country at ease where as with England apart from only on a hand full of occasions has that happened.
Not true at all. Italy and Spain, who have won the last two World Cups, are no different and they're doing just fine. The last two Italian World Cup squads have not contained a single player from outside Serie A. The Spanish team that won the last World Cup in 2010 had three (Torres, Fabregas and Reina who didn't play). Go look at any of their squads from a recent major tournament and it'll be the same - barely anyone who plays abroad.

It's just another excuse to hide the real failings of the FA/English national team.
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wish they would but not for the success of England but just to see if they could handle a move abroad taking into account all the different on/off field factors that come with it.

Any British player that's moved abroad I've always kept an eye on and feel happy that they're doing well, e.g Bale at Madrid. I admire him for actually doing the difficult thing of leaving for Spain when it would have been easy to stay at Spurs or join Manchester United.

I always intrigued to see if they can handle the off-field issues and perform on the pitch. Some do (McManaman, Bale seems like he is atm, Beckham), some don't (Owen, Rush).
Davelittle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it gives them first team football that they aren't getting in the UK then yes
techno-thriller
Badges: 14
Report 5 years ago
No, they wouldn't get any playing time lol
flabbyjoe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't say it would help the national team but it would be nice to see some English players in big European clubs like Bayern, Madrid, Barca, Juve, etc.

I think Bayern made a bid for Baines 2 years ago but he turned it down. Other than that I dont see much demand for English players abroad anyway
Raiden10
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not a bad idea.

But the best idea would be to cap foreign players in premiership somehow.

Between the Spanish and English top leagues, I think players are TWICE as likely to be Spanish as English.

So basically, the question of why Spain are better than England is the same question as why England are better than Wales or Scotland.

Bigger. Talent. Pool.

Why should tactics be the deciding factor if you are playing a country with double your population?
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by flabbyjoe)
I wouldn't say it would help the national team but it would be nice to see some English players in big European clubs like Bayern, Madrid, Barca, Juve, etc.

I think Bayern made a bid for Baines 2 years ago but he turned it down. Other than that I dont see much demand for English players abroad anyway
Its a good thing they did otherwise no Alaba who absolutely destroys Baines :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (3)
18.75%
The paper was reasonable (7)
43.75%
Not feeling great about that exam... (3)
18.75%
It was TERRIBLE (3)
18.75%

Watched Threads