Turn on thread page Beta

Does anyone know the chances of contracting HPV (from a man to a woman)? Whether he is infected or not.

I know it is contagious but I cannot find the statistics anywhere.

I have been seeing this guy and we have been using condoms. However once, foolishly, we did not. I know he's been tested for the 'regular' stuff a while back, but there is no HPV test for men.
    I did one before I met him and I was completely clean so started taking the vaccine. It's done in three shots and we had unprotected sex once between the second and third.
    I'm going for a follow up later, but I am wondering what the chances are that I got something and the vaccine didn't take?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well, if he doesn't have HPV, no-one can catch it from him.

If he does... no-one knows for sure. It doesn't help that there are dozens of strains of HPV, and the risks aren't going to be the same for all of them. The vaccines give very good protection against the two main ones linked to cervical cancer.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm doing my dissertation on this, so this is a good question
    Actually, because you got your first dose before the sexual activity, then you should be fine. There is good evidence that if the virus is contracted at the time of vaccination, then protection is still very good. However, the vaccine isn't 100% effective. I really wouldn't get too worried about it - there are much worse 'STIs' to be stressing about, really. The likelihood of you having caught HPV is very slim, because he may have not been infected in the first place, and it's not like HIV where it's incredibly infectious and incredibly dangerous in every case.

I'm assuming you've been given Gardasil, which is what the UK switched to in 2011 from Cervarix. Gardasil protects against the two most common cancer causing HPVs, and the two that cause genital warts. In short, don't worry. Just go for your regular smear checks, which you should be doing anyway.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    HIV is not 'incredibly infectious'.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well... it is, in the sense that if you have unprotected sex with someone who is infected, you have a good chance at contracting it...
    It's not in the sense that it requires close contact like that and exchange of bodily fluids to occur..

(Original post by unprinted)
    HIV is not 'incredibly infectious'.

(Original post by Coke Or Pepsi)
    Well... it is, in the sense that if you have unprotected sex with someone who is infected, you have a good chance at contracting it...
    I don't think anyone would characterize less than 1% a "good chance"...

The chance of catching the AIDS virus from a single act of heterosexual intercourse with an infected partner is 1 in 500 if no condom is used.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Quite. You have to do some specific things to have a chance of catching it.

Even then, if your partner also has, say, Hep B, you're more at risk of getting that.

I'm well informed of HPV in general. I know there are various strains and that most are harmless and that even if I do get a more harmful one, it is not a critical condition and by any means a guarantee that I'll get warts or cervical cancer.

That's not really the question. I've paid good money for the vaccination and I want it to work. Of course I don't know if he has it, he might very well not, although it is common. But the question is - if he does - what are the chances that I got it from him after having only taken two out of my three vaccination shots?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing my dissertation on this, so this is a good question
    I was wondering if you could answer a question for me, I tried googling already but can't find anything. My wife didn't get the HPV vaccine because she'd already had sex with me and we're both each other's firsts and only so can she still get HPV from me even though I haven't had sex with anyone else? Can I get HPV from her?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    *Well, I stand corrected with respect to my HIV comments, but I'm trying to really get at something quite specific (probably didn't phrase it really well, and still can't, but I agree with what you're all saying)

OP, you're asking a question that nobody really knows the answer to, but I'll give you some governmental reports and maybe you can decide from there. The fact is that because we need to wait until the current generation who got vaccinated to enter the cervical screening cohort (5-10 years time), it remains uncertain the extent to which the vaccine is actually effective. The best I can give you is perhaps this which is an extract from governmental reports when the vaccine was being implemented in the UK:

'High vaccine efficacy has been observed for the vaccines for those who were PCR negative and seronegative on day 1 (used in per protocol and 'intention to treat' analysis of the clinical trials).
    There is protection in individuals PCR positive but seronegative. There is no protection if the individual is PCR positive and seropositive (chronic infection). Those who were PCR negative but seropositive (i.e. had cleared the infection) also had high vaccine efficacy in preventing recurrence. If infected with one type at the time of vaccination, there was evidence that individuals still gained a high level of protection to the other HPV types in the vaccine. '

But your question is too complicated to answer; the 'chances' of you getting it are probably quite low, but depend on many factors; your immune system, his immune system, the type of sexual contact etc... it's not as clear cut. It's not possible to give you a percentage.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm well informed of HPV in general. I know there are various strains and that most are harmless and that even if I do get a more harmful one, it is not a critical condition and by any means a guarantee that I'll get warts or cervical cancer.

That's not really the question. I've paid good money for the vaccination and I want it to work. Of course I don't know if he has it, he might very well not, although it is common. But the question is - if he does - what are the chances that I got it from him after having only taken two out of my three vaccination shots?

If you and your wife have never had sexual contact with anyone else - not necessary sex, but sexual contact too; oral sex, foreplay etc - then the chances are basically zero. It's a bit odd to name it a sexually transmitted infection for many reasons, but it's considered one. You contract it through sexual contact with others. So, no, there is little chance.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    I was wondering if you could answer a question for me, I tried googling already but can't find anything. My wife didn't get the HPV vaccine because she'd already had sex with me and we're both each other's firsts and only so can she still get HPV from me even though I haven't had sex with anyone else? Can I get HPV from her?

ReputationRep:
    If you and your wife have never had sexual contact with anyone else - not necessary sex, but sexual contact too; oral sex, foreplay etc - then the chances are basically zero. It's a bit odd to name it a sexually transmitted infection for many reasons, but it's considered one. You contract it through sexual contact with others. So, no, there is little chance.
    Ok thanks I wasn't sure whether some people carried it without having had sex but you cleared that up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've paid good money for the vaccination
    This is the reason there's been so much about HPV for the past few years - the marketing departments of the two drugs companies want as many people frightened into paying a pile of money as possible.

But the question is - if he does - what are the chances that I got it from him after having only taken two out of my three vaccination shots?
    Very low. You're talking about one time, and for many people two shots is enough (the last shot of the series is to increase the number of people it is effective for, not make it effective for everyone who takes it).

The exact figure is unknown. The range of 'per time' risks for HIV is still quite large, and a lot more research has been done on that than for HPV or just about anything else.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.