Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    See Title.

Can any of you tell me what it's like.
    Just preparing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have never been one for having true friends in life I have only ever had 3 true friends, one whom goes to my university. Most of my life consists of acquaintances, I talk to people in my course quite a lot but I wouldn't consider them friends. As a matter of fact i'm very introverted and like my own company so it doesn't bother me. Acquaintances are enough to keep my university social life stable and happy.

ReputationRep:
    Going by the "just preparing" I'm guessing you aren't at uni yet. What makes you think you'll have no friends? Uni can be a new start if you have the right attitude and get involved.

If you live in halls I can imagine that having no friends would be very lonely as you can hear the people around you interacting all the time.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't met many friend yet. There are people I have met that are okay and I hang out with my house-mates but I'd rather have some friends outside of my house too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IllmaticDragon)
    See Title.

Can any of you tell me what it's like.
    Just preparing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    First of all, lose that attitude. It's one thing to be realistic and another to set yourself up for a bad time. Trust me, I'm not trying to be nasty but I've been there.

I'm not going to give you a lecture on how to make friends because there's plenty of that here and I know it doesn't suit everyone. I wouldn't say I have any close friends at uni here but I do have people that I chat to in lectures and tutorials and I sometimes go to the pub with people from a society. It's fine, but it can be quite lonely. I am a friendly person but I'm not great at making friends - I'll have no trouble getting along with people and having a good time but the deeper relationships don't really seem to happen, often due to circumstance. If you want to make friends, read the stuff about making friends. If you're not going to uni for the social experience, that's fine too.

The thing with uni is, it's not about survival like school is. Nobody will judge you for sitting alone in a lecture or not being in a certain group or things like that. There are always going to be individuals that look down on people for those reasons but it isn't a collective belief so don't worry. People take all kinds of random modules and it's common for you to not know anyone. Friendships from uni come from all over the place so it's normal to find yourself alone.

One thing I would recommend though is that you make sure you have some kind of 'contact' in your classes. Get someone's phone number or add them on facebook or something like that because there's a good chance you'll need someone to clarify homework or get a copy of notes etc.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Despite all the effort I made, no friends in second year. I gave up on the idea a long time ago. But I do have acquaintances there. What I seem to notice is that a lot of people seem to keep to themselves in uni. And these groups that you will see are not true friends. They're just acquaintances really.

ReputationRep:
    I've struggled to make any friends here because I don't club or drink. Most of the people I talk to are only acquaintances and contact usually ends when the lecture is over .
    People keep saying join a society but in reality it doesn't help s**t. Most of the socials are in clubs / bars and many people who join aren't looking to meet new people. Its just one of those things.
    Some will meet people that they get along with and ultimately become friends for life. Some people look like they have friends but its either just their housemates or people that they go clubbing with. Its usually nothing substantial.
    You might end up with acquaintances and no friends or you might get lucky and meet some awesome people.
    Don't jump into any conclusions though. Have an open mind and you could end up laughing at this thread by next year.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.