Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I currently have 4 offers, including my firm (Manchester) I need to choose my insurance from the following list

Man Met
    Hull
    Nottingham Trent

I will be studying information systems.

Would love to get perspectives on these unis.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited any of the universities? If not, you might want to hold off making a decision as they may invite you to visit days next term, so you could have a look at things like accomadation and find out a bit more about the course. If they don't, you could still visit and arrange to have a look around the campus/facilities.

What grades are they asking for, and what grades is the offer you think you are likely to firm?

Remember, you have months still to make a decision, so you don't have to rush into anything.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, I am predicted D*DD in my BTEC they are all DMM offers. My Manchester offer is D*DD. I visited Man Met but if I chose to go there I would need to stay in private accomadation which is a big minus for me.

I'm also thinking about the fact that most of the people I know live in Manchester and I can't decide whether it's a blessing or a curse as I wonder if I won't meet as many new people as I could end up only going out with them.

How do I find information about visit days? I literally got all 4 offers today within 2 hours of each others so I am a bit clueless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshmcl26)
    Thanks for the reply, I am predicted D*DD in my BTEC they are all DMM offers. My Manchester offer is D*DD. I visited Man Met but if I chose to go there I would need to stay in private accomadation which is a big minus for me.

I'm also thinking about the fact that most of the people I know live in Manchester and I can't decide whether it's a blessing or a curse as I wonder if I won't meet as many new people as I could end up only going out with them.

How do I find information about visit days? I literally got all 4 offers today within 2 hours of each others so I am a bit clueless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The university will send you information on visit days/offers holder days. However, you could look on their websites or send an email to ask them if it's something they do.

Congrats on all the offers.

Maybe try making a pros/cons list of each location/course to help you decide? I would be wary of comitting to somewhere I hadn't visited at all though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    The university will send you information on visit days/offers holder days. However, you could look on their websites or send an email to ask them if it's something they do.

Congrats on all the offers.
    Thanks.

And Thanks for the advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    congratulations on all your offers! I might end up at Manchester too

As for which to choose, I'm going to give you advice based on my priorities, so not everyone will agree with what I say:

Hull. For me, it's a no-brainer, Hull is the "best" university of those three, the other two are new ex-polys that have yet to establish themselves, so a degree from them might not be worth nearly as much as one from Hull, which was established in the 20s and is very good for some subjects.

I asked my dad about your course (he works in software architecture, so I thought it might be relevant) and he told me that when he looks through a pile of CVs for a job, the ex-polys go at the bottom, places like Oxbridge and LSE (along with other russle groups) go on top and places like Hull, Kent, Sussex, Essex etc get the "you are clearly a competent and pretty intellegent person, let's see how you do at interview" pile. So, form this, I think that if you're looking for a career related to your course, employers will look better on Hull than either of the ex-polys...

Just that perspective, not everyone agrees, hope it's helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marm-alade)
    congratulations on all your offers! I might end up at Manchester too

As for which to choose, I'm going to give you advice based on my priorities, so not everyone will agree with what I say:

Hull. For me, it's a no-brainer, Hull is the "best" university of those three, the other two are new ex-polys that have yet to establish themselves, so a degree from them might not be worth nearly as much as one from Hull, which was established in the 20s and is very good for some subjects.

I asked my dad about your course (he works in software architecture, so I thought it might be relevant) and he told me that when he looks through a pile of CVs for a job, the ex-polys go at the bottom, places like Oxbridge and LSE (along with other russle groups) go on top and places like Hull, Kent, Sussex, Essex etc get the "you are clearly a competent and pretty intellegent person, let's see how you do at interview" pile. So, form this, I think that if you're looking for a career related to your course, employers will look better on Hull than either of the ex-polys...

Just that perspective, not everyone agrees, hope it's helpful!
    Thanks for your input

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.