Is Film Studies Predominantly Male Students? Watch

Ralph900
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm considering studying Film at university next year but one thing which puts me off, and I realise it's silly, but I imagine the Film classes are 95% guys and I'd like to be in a class which is as mixed as possible.

If you study Film at uni, what's a rough estimate as to the male:female ratio in your 'class'?
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm not studying film but did some modules for it. it was about 50-50 split.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jordan_Howell1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ralph900)
I'm considering studying Film at university next year but one thing which puts me off, and I realise it's silly, but I imagine the Film classes are 95% guys and I'd like to be in a class which is as mixed as possible.

If you study Film at uni, what's a rough estimate as to the male:female ratio in your 'class'?
I studied Television Production at Bournemouth Uni (although I'm now on the Marketing Degree) and my seminar group for TV was roughly 60/40 male/female

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gissing
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ralph, do yourself a favour and avoid Film Studies like the plague.
Film Studies graduates don't tend to go into related fields when they've finished their studies; it is not a respected academic discipline so potential employers won't take you seriously; you'll be saddled with all that debt for no reason. Learning for learning's sake is fine but you can still watch films and read about them (there are only a few film studies books actually worth reading) while you do a more serious degree that will not wreck your life.

Also, choosing Film Studies will limit the kinds of people you can meet because it isn't a mainstream course. If you want a more advantageous male/female ratio pick English Literature, which will also be a better life choice than Film Studies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (390)
45.99%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.51%
It was TERRIBLE (110)
12.97%

Watched Threads