Gap Years for 17 year-olds? Watch

Libbzxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi there!
Due to unusual and unfortunate circumstances, I will be heading off to university at the age of 16 just turning 17 in September 2014. As such, I have decided to take a Gap Year and really really really need some suggestions on where I can go and what to do. I would love to go abroad but im worried about how expensive it will be....:confused::confused:
User990473
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I took a gap year at 16 so I might be able to offer some advice

I volunteered in South Africa and Australia in my gap year -- I initially got it through St John Ambulance which I had been volunteering with for a few months. Both were for 6 weeks each. I fund-raised all the money for me to go. It was tricky, though.

I spent most of the year in the US playing lacrosse which might not be an option for you -- this part was free for me. You could still volunteer in your local area, though
Jaegon Targaryen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've recently decided im going to be taking a gap year also , I'm currently 17 and turning 18 just before Christmas next month . :danceboy:

I've been working for a while and have quite a bit saved up , so money is less of an issue for me . But its quite daunting thinking that im going to be alone for a whole year . literally all the friends im in contact with atm are applying / have received offers . Im going to be truly a

Popular choices for taking a gap year seem to be :

Working full time and having a nice set of savings heading into uni.
Travelling to Australia to work fulltime
Going on an interrail trip of Europe
Going USA and working at camps e.g Camp America

Im clueless as to what I want to do ... Definitely thinking of going abroad though.
Petricia
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Libbzxx)
Hi there!
Due to unusual and unfortunate circumstances, I will be heading off to university at the age of 16 just turning 17 in September 2014. As such, I have decided to take a Gap Year and really really really need some suggestions on where I can go and what to do. I would love to go abroad but im worried about how expensive it will be....:confused::confused:
Hey.
I went to volunteering in India. You can ask the founder about age: www.stepvolunteer.com. I hope this is a help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (200)
22.55%
The paper was reasonable (403)
45.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.6%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.42%

Watched Threads