Romanian Students Thread Watch

TailWind009
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Anyone from Romania on this forum?.If so drop by here.
mahyerye
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Here! Here! Here I am!
SWMarius
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got a few Romanian students in my family :-)
I have a question to all Romanian students who receive Student Finance:
It seems that over the past few months the Student Loans Company has been targeting Romanians in a openly racist / xenophobic campaign.
- They contact year 3 students and ask for proof of residence for 3 years before they started their course (from 6 years ago!). Some people don't keep utility bills piled up for that many years. If you can't prove your residence, your finance is stopped. If you can prove your residence, your finance is stopped anyway, but with the promise that eventually they will sort it out. Remember, you already sent proof of residence when you started your course.
- They contact students and claim that they have been overpaid, and ask for immediate repayment of part of your past finance. In some instances they ask for more than £2,000 back - payable immediately, not in installments as stated in the government rules. If you don't pay immediately, your finance is stopped. No explanation is ever given as to how this supposed overpayment happened, or what it represents - they just ask for money.

If you are in one of these situations, or something similar, please contact me at marius (at) mazuru.co.uk - soon there will be an official email address for the Romanian Community Centre UK, but for now please use my personal address.
We intend to launch a class action suite against the Student Loans Company on behalf of the Romanian students affected.
andyjl11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Howdy!

I have some questions about applying for the tuition fee loan.

Is anyone around?
rhody95
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there! To which universities have you applied, guys?
Michiyo
  • Chat Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Any Romanians who are still here? I am Romanian (from Bucharest) too, only that I moved to England in July. I miss our food.
-Native Briton-
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SWMarius)
Got a few Romanian students in my family :-)
I have a question to all Romanian students who receive Student Finance:
It seems that over the past few months the Student Loans Company has been targeting Romanians in a openly racist / xenophobic campaign.
- They contact year 3 students and ask for proof of residence for 3 years before they started their course (from 6 years ago!). Some people don't keep utility bills piled up for that many years. If you can't prove your residence, your finance is stopped. If you can prove your residence, your finance is stopped anyway, but with the promise that eventually they will sort it out. Remember, you already sent proof of residence when you started your course.
- They contact students and claim that they have been overpaid, and ask for immediate repayment of part of your past finance. In some instances they ask for more than £2,000 back - payable immediately, not in installments as stated in the government rules. If you don't pay immediately, your finance is stopped. No explanation is ever given as to how this supposed overpayment happened, or what it represents - they just ask for money.

If you are in one of these situations, or something similar, please contact me at marius (at) mazuru.co.uk - soon there will be an official email address for the Romanian Community Centre UK, but for now please use my personal address.
We intend to launch a class action suite against the Student Loans Company on behalf of the Romanian students affected.
No it is not racist. The student loans company has massive problems with Romanians defrauding them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (163)
22.27%
The paper was reasonable (348)
47.54%
Not feeling great about that exam... (137)
18.72%
It was TERRIBLE (84)
11.48%

Watched Threads