Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Well I have gotten ACC grades for AS

A - Maths
C - Politics
C - Economics

I wondering what kind of uni's should I apply for. I mean like what kind of typical requirements should the uni's have.

Would a uni that wants AAB be a bit too much or would it be good?

I am predicted ABB at the moment from my teachers.

Also I want to study BSc Economics

Thanks
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you'd be unlikely to get an offer from a university asking for AAB. Most universities think it is unrealistic for a student to make a jump of two grades from AS to A2.

I would personally apply for 2 universities at ABB, maybe one asking for BBB, and two asking for BBC to use as insurance choices. Try to look for universities expressing their offers as points, instead of grades, though for your insurance choice, as ACC is not automatically considered equivalent to BBC, unless the offer is expressed as points.

Having a C in the subject you wish to study at degree level may also be an issue. I know most universities value maths more, but you should check the entry requirements carefully, just in case they say anything about needing particular grades in particular subjects if you are offered them.
GeogBerry
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aaron Parkes)
Well I have gotten ACC grades for AS

A - Maths
C - Politics
C - Economics

I wondering what kind of uni's should I apply for. I mean like what kind of typical requirements should the uni's have.

Would a uni that wants AAB be a bit too much or would it be good?

I am predicted ABB at the moment from my teachers.

Also I want to study BSc Economics

Thanks
I know people with BCC getting offers from AAB universities, so I'd say go for it. Have maybe 1 AAB, 2-3 ABB's and 1-2 BBB/BBC's.
Aaron Parkes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
I think you'd be unlikely to get an offer from a university asking for AAB. Most universities think it is unrealistic for a student to make a jump of two grades from AS to A2.

I would personally apply for 2 universities at ABB, maybe one asking for BBB, and two asking for BBC to use as insurance choices. Try to look for universities expressing their offers as points, instead of grades, though for your insurance choice, as ACC is not automatically considered equivalent to BBC, unless the offer is expressed as points.

Having a C in the subject you wish to study at degree level may also be an issue. I know most universities value maths more, but you should check the entry requirements carefully, just in case they say anything about needing particular grades in particular subjects if you are offered them.
Thank you for you're advice. It really helped me. I am going to try apply for one that is asking for AAB, even though it may seem that they won't give me a place.

I will however, apply for a couple of ABB and BBB or BBC universities, but these don't seem to be the best ones so just as insurance I will apply for them.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aaron Parkes)
Thank you for you're advice. It really helped me. I am going to try apply for one that is asking for AAB, even though it may seem that they won't give me a place.

I will however, apply for a couple of ABB and BBB or BBC universities, but these don't seem to be the best ones so just as insurance I will apply for them.
If you really want a decent shot at higher ranked universities, you could consider taking a gap year and reapplying in the summer if you actually achieve AAB.

Don't forget if you do get an offer from a university asking for AAB, you have to actually achieve the conditions of the offer. You have no guarentees of being let in if you miss the grades.
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with slowloris (as I so often do) that AAB is a step too far. Make it your only risk and do it with your eyes open if you do go ahead with it. ACC is a difficult set of grades to handle and really, in my view, ABB should be your highest, since a jump of two grades is doable, but three is stretching it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (4)
36.36%
The paper was reasonable (2)
18.18%
Not feeling great about that exam... (1)
9.09%
It was TERRIBLE (4)
36.36%

Watched Threads