Fairly strange circumstances? Watch

Tomahass
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
When i applied just over a month ago, the website told me i was eligible to the maximum of £6000 tuition, just over £5000 for Maintenance loan and just over £3000 for a grant. Now that my application has been processed, It says I'm now entitled to £3564 for Maintenance and £3465 for tuition and no grant at all.

I think this may be due to my unique circumstances over the last few years with previous education and loans and i need help explaining what might need rectifying over the phone.

I was given maintenance loan + grant + tuition for 2011/12 at Higher Diploma level. I then had to defer that year without the final 1/3 of the tuition being paid, but after explaining my circumstances i received the final 1/3 for just my maintenance loan and grant. Just over £1000 remained for the £5000 course fees . The next year i again received more maintenance loan and grant and the final 1/3 for the tuition loan for 2012/13 year (tuition fees were transferred over).

Student finance have received evidence of my deferral, and only since my evidence has been processed on the 18/11/2013, has my offer changed.

Unfortunately, i again fell ill towards the second semester in the course year 2012/13 but was advised to attempt to finish the course as deferral would mean joining a overhauled higher diploma in 2013/14. I didn't get to complete the year properly, so my grades came in at a fail and now i think that is what is affecting my loan for this year at degree level.

I decided to join degree as a fresh student and not as a returning student, as i had the previous A-Levels to join as a new student. When applying for student finance, i was asked about previous loans and studies. When it asked if i hadn't gained qualifications from previous courses, i didn't real have much idea of what to put as the question was too vague for such an answer as i had to put, so i just said i had deferred 2011/12 to 2012/13 due to medical reasons and failed 2012/13.

Would this be why i am being offered such a different amount than before? (£6000 + maintenance loan + grant). My household income is minimal and has previously not been a problem and I'm trying to live away from home but can't move out until my loans come through.

I'm really hoping i can figure this out ASAP as i can't afford the £7995 tuition fees with the revised loans I've been told I'm getting today, nor can i afford travel even if i were to be living at home, let alone rent living away.

I know it's unlikely but has anyone else had a similar situation or can someone offer advise. I'd hate to have to quit after a third year of attempting higher education. If you need any more info i might have missed, let me know.

Thanks,
-Tom
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Tom,

So we can assist you, can you please confirm if you started in the first year of a new course for the academic year 2013/14?

Thanks.
Tomahass
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Yes i've already started the course this year on a completely new course (degree) that i haven't done before, and I'm in the first year.
Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Tom,

We recommend you call us on 0845 300 5090 so we can check if we have received evidence of your household income to support your 2013/14 application.

This will also allow us to check your Tuition Fee award for the current academic year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed