Retaking modules years later - A*? Watch

infairverona
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey,

I've just found out you can retake a module from your A levels whenever, as long as the syllabus is still running.
I got a B in my English A level which haunts me to this day and I am seriously contemplating retaking the module that dragged me down in order to get an A overall.
What I'd like to know is - if you do take a module years later, does this stop you getting an A*? I remember reading a while ago on here that you can only get the A* if it's within the two years, otherwise you get people retaking a lot simply to get the A* grade. Not sure if this is true or not so wondering if anyone knows?
Thanks!
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by infairverona)
Hey,

I've just found out you can retake a module from your A levels whenever, as long as the syllabus is still running.
I got a B in my English A level which haunts me to this day and I am seriously contemplating retaking the module that dragged me down in order to get an A overall.
What I'd like to know is - if you do take a module years later, does this stop you getting an A*? I remember reading a while ago on here that you can only get the A* if it's within the two years, otherwise you get people retaking a lot simply to get the A* grade. Not sure if this is true or not so wondering if anyone knows?
Thanks!
It's not true. If you meet the requirements of an A* you will be awarded one, there is no time limit under current rules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
infairverona
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
It's not true. If you meet the requirements of an A* you will be awarded one, there is no time limit under current rules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really? Oh god this changes everything. Do you know if your certificate changes then to say you got the grade in the year you took the later exam?
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by infairverona)
Really? Oh god this changes everything. Do you know if your certificate changes then to say you got the grade in the year you took the later exam?
You will get a new certificate dated in the year of the resit and only listing the retaken subject.

(Note this is all for uk A levels, different rules for CIE)

Posted from TSR Mobile
infairverona
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
You will get a new certificate dated in the year of the resit and only listing the retaken subject.

(Note this is all for uk A levels, different rules for CIE)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh ok thanks, so say I retake my English module and it goes up to an A, will I get a new certificate saying just the English A on it? Will this cause any problems if future employers want to see 3 A levels taken in the same 2 years or whatever it is?
ssjt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't think it would affect future employers and you can always explain if they ask. As you got a B first time round really don't think it is a problem. Definitely go do it if it bugs you at least you will be happier also the syllabus is due to change in the next couple of years. If you look on the exam board website they give details on the final chances to take under current system. I know for me with AQA I'm in A2 I can resit modules in 2015 but not after that. :-)
infairverona
Rep:
?
(Original post by ssjt)
I don't think it would affect future employers and you can always explain if they ask. As you got a B first time round really don't think it is a problem. Definitely go do it if it bugs you at least you will be happier also the syllabus is due to change in the next couple of years. If you look on the exam board website they give details on the final chances to take under current system. I know for me with AQA I'm in A2 I can resit modules in 2015 but not after that. :-)
Yeah I was just wondering in case they ask to see! Although even my current uni didn't need to see the certificates, I suppose once I've got a degree nobody will really care that much. I think I definitely will do it, it annoys me so much. I know it's not a bad grade but I missed my firm offer through that B and I hate it haha. Mine was AQA also so I'll have a look, thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (199)
22.49%
The paper was reasonable (402)
45.42%
Not feeling great about that exam... (165)
18.64%
It was TERRIBLE (119)
13.45%

Watched Threads