What to tell my manager so that I can take the day off for .. Watch

JustMee :)
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I work in a big chain superstore weekdays in the mornings, 6am-11am/12pm, depending on the workload for the day. I'm on like a temp basis till christmas, and then they decide whether to keep m eon or what.

So, obviously it's going well and you don't want to take days off etc but next week I need a day off as I've been called in for an interview/training day else where. As it starts at 9am I can't get into work.

Do I just tell my manager that I have an interview so i need the day off, or will that be seen negatively? What can I tell him?

Bearing in mind I worked half a shift (but I came in an hour earlier) on friday last week, due to a hospital appointment.

I could do a shift swap, but the guy I'd have to ask isn't so easygoing :/

Any ideas please?
GoingToBurst
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Absolutely do not tell your manager you need to take time off for an interview elsewhere. Especially when you aren't on a permanent contract.
Say you need the day off for an appointment that couldn't be arranged at any other time.
Knalchemist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JustMee :))
I work in a big chain superstore weekdays in the mornings, 6am-11am/12pm, depending on the workload for the day. I'm on like a temp basis till christmas, and then they decide whether to keep m eon or what.

So, obviously it's going well and you don't want to take days off etc but next week I need a day off as I've been called in for an interview/training day else where. As it starts at 9am I can't get into work.

Do I just tell my manager that I have an interview so i need the day off, or will that be seen negatively? What can I tell him?

Bearing in mind I worked half a shift (but I came in an hour earlier) on friday last week, due to a hospital appointment.

I could do a shift swap, but the guy I'd have to ask isn't so easygoing :/

Any ideas please?
You need to tell the manager ASAP. Do NOT tell them you have an interview elsewhere.

They may ask you to provide evidence if you have an appointment (IE a letter).

Ask the guy if you can shift swap, if he says no then ask your manager if you can have the day off, or start and finish earlier due to an appointment.

Beware though that by taking the day off you are actually breaching your contract with them, so they can get rid of you at any point, especially if you're having too much time off (in their eyes).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (480)
30.91%
The paper was reasonable (601)
38.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.48%
It was TERRIBLE (216)
13.91%

Watched Threads