What is the difference between Architecture and Architecture Technology? Watch

Jordan1104
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What is the difference between Architecture and Architecture Technology? Is there a difference?
Can you become a qualified architect with Architecture Technology then your MA Degree like Architecture?
Do you need to send off a portfolio to get into Uni for A/Technology?
Scribbled
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jordan1104)
What is the difference between Architecture and Architecture Technology? Is there a difference?
Can you become a qualified architect with Architecture Technology then your MA Degree like Architecture?
Do you need to send off a portfolio to get into Uni for A/Technology?
No you can't become a Qualified Architect with a Arch Tech degree. Archs are governed by the ARB and RIBA or RIAS in Scotland. Arch Techs are governed by CIAT, that is the first clue that they are completely different.

The main difference is that an Architect is an overall designer and need to know a little bit about building every part of a building with the main focus or the aesthetic, order and function of the building and design things such as the way people feel when they enter the building etc.

Architectural Technologist don't so this. They focus more on the detail of a building and in a way are kind of a bridge between the Architects and the Engineers. They are more concerned with were lifts go, how many bricks are needed to build a wall, whether a pitched roof can realistically have tiles hung off at the designed pitch, where beams go etc not really anything to do with the artistic side.

If my understanding is correct! An arch can do an arch tech's job (without calling himself an arch tech!) but an arch tech can't do an arch's job. If there is an office full of Architectural Technologists offering a "full architectural service" then someone in the office has got a degree in architecture. Having said this it's very unlikely that an Architecture course will go into such detail as how many bricks are need to make a wall and tutors will be quite happy if you say, "this wall will be made of brick" without mentioning that level of detail. (They will expect a good understanding of how a brick wall is built though!) If an architect is doing an Architectural Technologist's job, they would have to be extremely experienced or would have to have had a special interest in detail design. Architecture courses only glaze over detail and they vast majority of us have to teach ourselves how to design building details. If an Architect wasn't either one of the above the details would be extremely poor hence why quite commonly there is at least one Arch Tech in every architecture office.

As a result there are (generally speaking) more Arch Tech jobs out there than Architecture jobs but from what I've seen they aren't paid as much as architects.

It is possible to be both an Architect and an Architectural Technologist if you get on the right course. For example University of Nottingham offers a course called Architecture and Environmental Design MEng which is both RIBA/ARB and CIBSE (engineering) accredited I think you would still have to get your course formalised by CIAT to be able to call yourself an arch tech though.

To become an Architect you must be on a RIBA accredited course in order to exempt you from the Part 1 exam. I assume that you can take all of the RIBA exams without doing an accredited course but it is difficult and not recommended as you would need years of experience instead to have the knowledge to pass. So if you want the short answer: No you can't have an Architectural Technologist qualification and go onto a DipArch (Part 2) Architecture qualification and then have be able to become an Architect at the end. I would imagine it was possible to do it academically but all the part 2 courses I've seen have asked for at least a 2:1 B'Arch/B'Sc/B'A in Architecture to get onto the course. As a result, if you managed to get onto the course without an Architecture degree. I would imagine you would be extremely disadvantaged as the teaching staff would assume you would have the knowledge gained from Part 1. I would certainly advise against going down that path. Architecture is hard enough without doing it unconventionally.

As for whether you need a portfolio? I have no idea you'll have to look on your preferred uni's UCAS entry. I would assume since there is less design in Arch Tech you wouldn't but I might be wrong. What I know of Arch Tech is what I've pieced together from working alongside them in practise.

Basically, if you are tossing up whether to become an Architect or an Architectural Technologist, you're going to have to decide now. Realistically you can't really have both. If you are thinking about Architectural Technology because you don't really like the arty side of Architecture become an Engineer/Architectural Technologist. Even the M'Eng course I mentioned above is basically an Architecture course with an extra year tagged on. You'll probably find many "joint" courses put more emphasis on the Architecture than the Architectural Technology.

Hope this helps.
~Scribbled
Stewie2011
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"If my understanding is correct! An arch can do an arch tech's job (without calling himself an arch tech!) but an arch tech can't do an arch's job. If there is an office full of Architectural Technologists offering a "full architectural service" then someone in the office has got a degree in architecture. Having said this it's very unlikely that an Architecture course will go into such detail as how many bricks are need to make a wall and tutors will be quite happy if you say, "this wall will be made of brick" without mentioning that level of detail."

Well an Arch Tech (if only qualified under CIAT) can't call himself an Architect but there's nothing to stop them doing an Architects job, nor anyone else since theoretically anyone can start up an 'Architecture practice', its only when its called an 'Architects practice' does someone there need to be a qualified Architect as they are stating they are Architects but most of the general public will not know the difference. Insurance may be difficult if you are not accredited by Either RIBA/ARB or CIAT. To be honest ask yourself this, 'Will I be able to start up in architecture alone straight out of uni (or shortly after) with RIBA part 1? The answer is no unless you have prior knowledge of the technical aspects of Architecture. With CIAT you could as you would have the technical knowledge, which you would tend to lack on most undergrad RIBA Architecture courses. Arch tech is really how many would expect Architecture courses to be, i.e. about everyday buildings but unfortunately Architecture courses tend to be a bit too arty I think. They can be interesting and fun, i.e doing design studio, crits, presentations, etc. You could for example do one year on an Architecture degree get a HNC then go onto Arch Tech from the beginning for 3 years since you get 4 years of funding, you will then have the skills from both courses since most part 1 RIBA courses are the same process repeated for design module in years 2 & 3 as it is in year 1. Arch Tech isn't a perfect world you can get some law/paperwork modules most design/drawing type people arn't really interested in, but you won't be aimlessly chucking around stuff trying to be creative as on Architecture courses. You will get some design on Arch tech courses, technical drawing, not often (if ever) will bricks need counting though as that is more a Quantity Surveyor's job/course. Art portfolio's are rarely needed for entry which is nice
Scribbled
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stewie2011)
You could for example do one year on an Architecture degree get a HNC then go onto Arch Tech from the beginning for 3 years since you get 4 years of funding, you will then have the skills from both courses since most part 1 RIBA courses are the same process repeated for design module in years 2 & 3 as it is in year 1.
Hmm... I really wouldn't recommend that! Architecture Studio is repeating the same thing over and over yes but that doesn't mean you'll know anything after yr1. In my first year I spent the first 2 months doing drawing workshops which I didn't need and had already done 3or4 times because I had an art A Level. Up until February we were learning to technical draw by hand (who does that now!) and make models and for the rest it was the typical Studio tasks but designs were appalling because annoyingly the tutors don't tell you the 'rules of aesthetics' when designing buildings fearing not to crush your own creativity and it's not something you can just look up on the internet either. It's only in third year when they start saying "you need to do this because of x rule and that because of y rule" and even then you're lucky if they tell you! Doing just first year of Architecture (certainly mine) is pretty much a waste of a year but unfortunately contains the vital information which is only useful when they tell you the rest in the subsequent years.

(Original post by Stewie2011)
Arch Tech isn't a perfect world you can get some law/paperwork modules most design/drawing type people arn't really interested in, but you won't be aimlessly chucking around stuff trying to be creative as on Architecture courses. You will get some design on Arch tech courses, technical drawing, not often (if ever) will bricks need counting though as that is more a Quantity Surveyor's job/course. Art portfolio's are rarely needed for entry which is nice
Lol! Sorry I was only using that example because that was the example the Architectural Technician I was taking to used to illustrate how little architects now about building a building when we first qualify. He honestly said "Do you know how many courses(?) of bricks it takes to build an 4m wall?" See look even there I'm proving my ignorance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (54)
14.1%
The paper was reasonable (191)
49.87%
Not feeling great about that exam... (97)
25.33%
It was TERRIBLE (41)
10.7%

Watched Threads