How reliable are British Trains? Watch

Et Tu, Brute?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Because I'm from an inferior Celtic part of the UK where the people do not matter an thus no money is ever invested in their communities, I am not familiar the train travel in the UK since there are no train tracks close by, even buses are few and far between.

So I have a flight to catch, I need to get from Norwich to Stansted to fly back to my inferior Celtic nation.

If I book my train on a Saturday, it gets me in just over 2hrs before lift off.

So I'm thinking this is prefect, I don't need to wait around before lift off.

However, on my way over, the train was cancelled and I was stranded in the middle of nowhere for 2hrs (also, can I get compensation for this?)

If the train is cancelled again then I will need to wait for the next one which is two hours after, and thus I will arrive at the airport around the same time as the lift off time, so I'll miss the lift off.

Are Great British trains reliable or at they like everything else in England, just British, no Great?
icouldntthinkofone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They arent as bad as some people make out. Equally, they arent great. Your post did make me laugh.
Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've often had to deal with a train being cancelled but majority of the time the rail provider will provide an alternative such as coach travel and if you complain they'll often refund your ticket. At least that has been my experience. Out of interest which 'inferior' Celtic nation are you from? Wales, Cornwall, Isle of Man?
Tennumbers
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
as a daily train user, don't trust it. take an earlier train.. even if that means u get there very early..
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
(Original post by Swanbow)
I've often had to deal with a train being cancelled but majority of the time the rail provider will provide an alternative such as coach travel and if you complain they'll often refund your ticket. At least that has been my experience. Out of interest which 'inferior' Celtic nation are you from? Wales, Cornwall, Isle of Man?
Ireland.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
95% of trains are on time 95% of the time
ffionm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Celtic discrimination is not the case; I, living in rural England have a similar circumstance. In fact, in a 50 mile radius from my house, buses don't actually run after 6pm. & the closest train station is 1.5 hours away unless you count steam trains...

Posted from TSR Mobile
ffionm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry about that post! Just a rant about the conditions of my local transport system...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alex17595
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ffionm)
Celtic discrimination is not the case; I, living in rural England have a similar circumstance. In fact, in a 50 mile radius from my house, buses don't actually run after 6pm. & the closest train station is 1.5 hours away unless you count steam trains...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where do you live in the middle of the north sea?

Ireland has the slowest intercity train service is western Europe at an average of 43MPH!

OP should be fine. They would need to change at ELY for stnstead airport and they arrive at stanstead airport at xx:40 every hour. Although they run from Norwich at 57 or 40 past taking 1:43-2:00 hrs.
littlesmurfette
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've never had any problems. I frequently catch the train to/from Liverpool out of London and the longest i've ever had to wait was 5 minutes.
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I regularly get the train when I go to and from my boyfriend's (he lives in the West Midlands) and other than the train arriving to the destination slightly late a few times I never really had any problems.
Hanvyj
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
Because I'm from an inferior Celtic part of the UK where the people do not matter an thus no money is ever invested in their communities, I am not familiar the train travel in the UK since there are no train tracks close by, even buses are few and far between.

So I have a flight to catch, I need to get from Norwich to Stansted to fly back to my inferior Celtic nation.

If I book my train on a Saturday, it gets me in just over 2hrs before lift off.

So I'm thinking this is prefect, I don't need to wait around before lift off.

However, on my way over, the train was cancelled and I was stranded in the middle of nowhere for 2hrs (also, can I get compensation for this?)

If the train is cancelled again then I will need to wait for the next one which is two hours after, and thus I will arrive at the airport around the same time as the lift off time, so I'll miss the lift off.

Are Great British trains reliable or at they like everything else in England, just British, no Great?
Replace 'Celtic' with 'Rural', it's the same anywhere that isn't a reasonable city.

Have I had bad experiences on the train? Yes. Yes I have.

I've had 4 trains in a row canceled, missing my national express (which somehow seems to arrive on time!) even though I had a 2 hour buffer for my hour journey. That cost me £120.

I've had trains arrive early so you miss them one day then hours late the next. We once spent 12 hours trying to get from Edinburgh to Manchester, the train stopped and sat on the track for hours, ended up rolling back a station so we could get off and get a taxi to Glasgow (it was only ten minutes away).

The trains are much better if you live down south, but god are they expensive. My wife paid £6300 for an anual ticket, that's 40% of her income on her commute.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've had quite a few problems with trains being cancelled / late. On a Wednesday evening, I go from Plymouth to Newton Abbot and come back again. 95% of the time, the Newton Abbot to Plymouth train is late.
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay during summer I find but if the weather has been bad they really **** up often. Also had a few annoying cancellations/ delays for no apparant reason.
Quilt
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
RE the compensation, I've found the easiest way to ask is to find the train company you travelled with on Twitter and give them a tweet. They often have people on their answering questions about late trains etc.

Also, download The Trainline app on your phone, it shows you live departures and instant updates of whether a train is late etc, even if it's just 1min. I find it very useful and I'm a regular train traveller! I mostly travel on weekends and find a LOT of my trains are either late, delayed, replaced by buses or cancelled all together, but maybe I'm just a very unlucky person aha!
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm familiar with the trains around Norwich. Are you changing at Ipswich ? If so the change is often short and potentially means miss it. However, if they know people on your train are booked on the train about to leave, they do make it wait until they're/you're on. This has happened to me many a time.
Et Tu, Brute?
Rep:
?
(Original post by nic-nac)
I'm familiar with the trains around Norwich. Are you changing at Ipswich ? If so the change is often short and potentially means miss it. However, if they know people on your train are booked on the train about to leave, they do make it wait until they're/you're on. This has happened to me many a time.
It will be Cambridge or Ely.

I'm not worried about the change over. It is the fact they might end up cancelling the train and putting me on a later one. This is what happened on the way over, I didn't care since that train was the final leg of the journey, in terms of pre-paid transport.

However if it happens this time I'll miss my flight, and as it is the last flight of the evening, I'll have to spend the night in that airport, which is both boring and expensive.
Alex17595
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quilt)
download The Trainline app on your phone, it shows you live departures and instant updates of whether a train is late etc, even if it's just 1min. I find it very useful and I'm a regular train traveller! I mostly travel on weekends and find a LOT of my trains are either late, delayed, replaced by buses or cancelled all together, but maybe I'm just a very unlucky person aha!
I recommend this website. It shows train times to the 1/4 second all around the country at every station and junction.
Its also useful for showing what platform trains are booked in for.

For example: This evenings Caledonian sleeper is running 3L at cheddington.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (146)
21.13%
The paper was reasonable (336)
48.63%
Not feeling great about that exam... (132)
19.1%
It was TERRIBLE (77)
11.14%

Watched Threads