The Student Room Group

Applying to Universities without full qualifications.

I am hoping begin studying towards a degree in Business Management with Economics by September 2014.

My set of qualifications is not extensive, and is likely to be seen by Universities as inadequate. Unfortunately this has been due to events which were partially, yet not entirely out of my control.

I attained the following GCSE's:

English Language (C)

Mathematics (B)

Core Science (C)

Additional Science (C)

Media Studies (C)

Business Studies (Pass)

Following on from being asked to the leave Sixth Form after a mere 5 months, I became gainfully employed at local factory on a full-time basis.

The following September (2010) I decided to have another crack at college, this time studying towards a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business Management and Administration.

During the initial year, I achieved 6 Distinction grades, 2 Merits, and one Pass.

The second year did not go so well and I left with only a further three Units awarded to me; 2 passes and 1 additional distinction.

The reason for my demise was in large due to fact that I was struggling to juggle what was virtually a full time job with a full time college course.

During June 2012 I was offered a job at a local Law Firm as an 'Office Assistant'. After 9 months I was offered the role of an 'Accounts Assistant' which of course, I duly accepted.

Although I am enjoying the financial rewards associated with full time employment, I feel that for further professional development, I will need to undertake further education.

I have a sincere fascination in the pivotal role which both business and economics play within the World as an entirety and to be given the opportunity to study at a University in the aforementioned subjects would be met with ferocious dedication and absolute determination to succeed to the best of my abilities.

Questions I have are as follows:

What are my chances of getting accepted onto a degree in my preferred area? Taking into consideration, my lack of qualifications.

How powerful can a Personal Statement be?

Have you been in a similar situation yourself?

Can anyone recommend a University which befits my current status/ desire?

Any suggestions are welcome and will certainly be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Reply 1
If you want to go to a half decent uni then a foundation year or retrying at 6th form might be your best bet.
I'd look into doing an Access course.
I'd honestly consider a Foundation degree as a starting basis.
Original post by drhowick1

During June 2012 I was offered a job at a local Law Firm as an 'Office Assistant'. After 9 months I was offered the role of an 'Accounts Assistant' which of course, I duly accepted.

Although I am enjoying the financial rewards associated with full time employment, I feel that for further professional development, I will need to undertake further education.

I agree with you but before doing a degree, get your professional qualification in your present career.

http://www.ilfm.org.uk/TRAINING/tabid/61/Default.aspx

That means that you will always have this role to fall back on and can do part-time work or vacation locuming during your degree. There are thousands of business studies graduates hunting for jobs but there are not that many qualified legal cashiers out there.

Moreover we have recently lost someone similar to you to the Middle East. He doubled his salary (plus its tax free).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending