2015 applicants? Watch

wnee-hee
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Anyone on here deciding to apply for 2015 entry? It's a way away, but I'd love to talk to others that are still working towards their grades!
Mike_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A bit early, my friend.

Work on your ASs, make sure they are solid, and read up a lot on economics whether it be magazines, blogs or newspapers.
charleso
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep, I am. Applied for Econs and Economic History.

I took my Singapore A-levels last year, achieved AAB (A is highest grade here) when I received my results in March and sent off my application last week.

Reason for deferment is compulsory military service, which I started six months ago and am only due to complete in March 2015.
Teemus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi I am also applying to LSE for Economics the three year program. I am from Canada thought so for me application requirements are different. instead of A levels i just have to submit 6 grade 12 courses. Grade 12 is our like final year before unviersity.
fizzan
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Me too, probably for Social Anthropology, not exactly economics! I'm in Lower Sixth at the moment.
GunnerGuy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I'm currently in AS level and I am thinking of pursuing a LSE Acturial Science course in 2015. I have got 7A* and 2A's in my IGCSE's and have a predicted AS result of 1A* 2A's. ( A* because I'm doing a full A level maths this year ). Do you think I'll get in presuming that my PS would not be top notch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Deltasierra27
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hoshil)
Hi, I'm currently in AS level and I am thinking of pursuing a LSE Acturial Science course in 2015. I have got 7A* and 2A's in my IGCSE's and have a predicted AS result of 1A* 2A's. ( A* because I'm doing a full A level maths this year ). Do you think I'll get in presuming that my PS would not be top notch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If had to hazard guess then probably not to be honest. 7A*s isn't out of this world (I got 8) for a university like LSE. Maths A*s is a basic requirement anyway. Might be worth taking up another AS next year if you're going to complete you Maths this year, at least then you'd be studying more than just 2 A2 subjects next year. A lot of it does depend on the PS... After all, they must reach a saturation point where a tonne of the applicants have perfect/near perfect grades...
kurofune
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys! I'm an American going for the Economic History course.

Based on the website, Economic History seemed to be more focused on the historical aspect and not math. Is it okay if I don't take an AP for math? (the equivalent of an A-level)
GunnerGuy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Deltasierra27)
If had to hazard guess then probably not to be honest. 7A*s isn't out of this world (I got 8) for a university like LSE. Maths A*s is a basic requirement anyway. Might be worth taking up another AS next year if you're going to complete you Maths this year, at least then you'd be studying more than just 2 A2 subjects next year. A lot of it does depend on the PS... After all, they must reach a saturation point where a tonne of the applicants have perfect/near perfect grades...
But I am doing 12 units of Maths so I'll have another 3 A2 level subjects. In total I'll have 4 A2 level subjects:

MATHS
FURTHER MATHS
ECONOMICS
ACCOUNTING

So there's no need for another subject as suggested by my dean of studies.

Anyway thanks for your help.

If you don't mind, I wanna know if you are joining LSE in 2015 if it is your firm choice? Or are you at LSE? Or a you just a well wisher giving advice.
Deltasierra27
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
But I am doing 12 units of Maths so I'll have another 3 A2 level subjects. In total I'll have 4 A2 level subjects:

MATHS
FURTHER MATHS
ECONOMICS
ACCOUNTING

So there's no need for another subject as suggested by my dean of studies.

Anyway thanks for your help.

If you don't mind, I wanna know if you are joining LSE in 2015 if it is your firm choice? Or are you at LSE? Or a you just a well wisher giving advice.
Ah right, it's just you didn't make clear how many A2s you were doing in your original post. But yes, that should be fine. I'm just a well-wisher really, applying in September for Econ at LSE for Sept 2016 entry. Currently, I've done AS; Maths, FM, Biol, Chem, Econ and Design Tech, but the economics was self-taught and so was the FM. For A2 doing Maths, FM, Chem & Econ and a couple other Level 4 qualifications in economics (GCSEs are level 2, A2s are considered Level 3). Hopefully with a decent PS, it should be enough (I hope! haha), but we'll see haha.

If it's any help, I've got a friend who is applying for the same course as you and he has the same A-level except for accounting so it seems like you've made the right choices I guess. Anyway, good luck.
tlunn223
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I applied for 2014 entry and didn't get in, but I think I'm going to reapply after a year of uni in the US. They told me what I did wrong and I think I fixed it, and should be more qualified regardless. I think I'm going to apply for straight IR, but maybe IR and history. Good luck to you all!
rennys
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I want to apply too! I am an IB1 student and I want to study law there. I have been to an lse campus tour and I just loved it! London is very exciting too since I am the kind of person who likes all the cultural aspects of such a city. Right now I have the grades to enter, but you never know if they will actually take you so I have King's and Bristol as second and third choices which require lower grades. I just have to focus on my exams (although I have to say that I am procrastinating right now which I will later regret).
GunnerGuy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rennys)
I want to apply too! I am an IB1 student and I want to study law there. I have been to an lse campus tour and I just loved it! London is very exciting too since I am the kind of person who likes all the cultural aspects of such a city. Right now I have the grades to enter, but you never know if they will actually take you so I have King's and Bristol as second and third choices which require lower grades. I just have to focus on my exams (although I have to say that I am procrastinating right now which I will later regret).
U can try UCL or Nottingham for Law.

I know UCL has a high standard but not as high as LSE tho and Nottingham should be really good as the previous Head Boy of my school has gone there to study law and he was quite smart! So if Nottingham attracted him then maybe it must be a good Law school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
rennys
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I know UCL has a high standard but not as high as LSE tho and Nottingham should be really good as the previous Head Boy of my school has gone there to study law and he was quite smart! So if Nottingham attracted him then maybe it must be a good Law school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know UCL is one of the best for law but I will have to wait for my exam results because they count 50% for my prediction and although the university says you need a 39 to enter, they usually take all the 42-45's applicants before they look into lower grades. So I have to try really hard for LSE and UCL if I want to get in.
I will look into Nottingham as well now that you proposed it.
Ripper Phoenix
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
who?
GandalfWhite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rennys)
Maybe consider QMUL too? Its ranking for law has shot up. LSE, UCL, Kings, QMUL, Bath, Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick, Durham …. lots of good universities for law, just that LSE and UCL are much more competitive.
sr234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone applying for maths and econ?
chelseajanett
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Psychology BSc

Choices at the moment are: Sussex, Southampton, Reading, Bournemouth, Winchester
Mumbai'sGirl
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
BSc Economics and Economic history?
The requirements are pretty low compared to straight econ, so how would they distinguish between someone genuinely interested in econ history and someone just wanting to switch to pure econ later in the course?
And, I have a b in maths AS due to a bad pure math module, but i’m sure i’ll get an A at A level. Considering i get my three other predicted A*s, would my b in maths AS be looked down upon?
Moreover, my lack of FM is due to my school not allowing it, not even if I self teach. (International applicant)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (387)
30.81%
The paper was reasonable (493)
39.25%
Not feeling great about that exam... (220)
17.52%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
12.42%

Watched Threads