Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, so here I am, a perfectly able student who gets the grade worthy of grammar sixth forms; the problem? Well, I'm planning on applying to King Edward VI Five Ways Sixth Form and that's all dandy but I'm so bloody nervous. Not of not being smart or good enough but of if I'll be a loner.

Yes, deny it if you will, but as a typical human, we all desire communication and friendship to feel comfortable within a work environment- and no one wants to be branded billy-no-mates either.

Right now I don't even go to a grammar secondary - Hodge Hill Girls if anyone is interested. None of my peers are applying there either because they are won't get the grades or because it's a co-ed school (stupid reason, but whatever).

I don't even mind starting afresh and making friends but in comparison to going to your average College where everyone comes from everywhere, at Five Ways, majority of students will have come from the secondary and so cliques and whatnot would have been made.

Good god, I sound like I'm whining over nothing, but as someone who is
    a - paranoid as f*** and
    b - may come across as a nerd what with her interests
    I feel like I can be worried and thus I will because goddammit why didn't my parents send me to a more decent school.

/Rant over.

Ahem, anyway, it'd be nice to actually hear from an external student who went to Five Ways, or any grammar actually, who could tell me how how much of a bad idea applying welcoming it is and of their experiences to help me decide whether I should take the risk and yolo
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by xderaai)
    Right, so here I am, a perfectly able student who gets the grade worthy of grammar sixth forms; the problem? Well, I'm planning on applying to King Edward VI Five Ways Sixth Form and that's all dandy but I'm so bloody nervous. Not of not being smart or good enough but of if I'll be a loner.
    Hello

I have never been an external student but I attend a Grammar school sixth form and am now very good friends with several students who came from other schools.
    Obviously experiences are going to vary depending on the school but mine is excellent a ensuring all external students settle in, make friends and have the same opportunities as internal students.
    I am a year 13 student and recently gave tours to several year 11s from other schools who hoped to attend. They were all concerned about moving away from their school and friends but that is completely natural. You will be worried about it but you will find that it'll all work out It's surprising how easily new students merge with the old Remember that there WILL be other external students in the same position as you - you will not be a 'loner'!

Try not to worry about it, I have moved schools a lot in my lifetime and it is a bit hard but it has always worked out okay

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.