Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm an international student applying for Law this year. I will be visiting Warwick and Manchester next month but unfortunately can't go to Durham. I am trying to decide which one to apply (cannot apply to all three, my other four choices are already set: UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Bristol).

My primary goal is to work as a solicitor at a top city firm (preferably MC or SC).

Here is a list for their positive attributes: (feel free to elaborate)

Warwick:
    -No LNAT
    -Green, nice campus
    -A unique contextual approach to the study of law, which can prove helpful in legal career
    -It has the option of a four year LLB course that will enable me to choose additional modules from the law department and elsewhere
    -20 minutes from Birmingham, UK's second biggest city

Durham:
    -Situated in a much nicer town than Coventry
    -Beautiful architecture
    -Has a traditional collegiate system somewhat similar to Oxbridge
    -A strong sense of community may be helpful for me as I will be starting a new life in the UK
    -30 min from Newcastle, which, as far as I've heard, is renowned for its active nightlife although it can't substitute for London and is smaller than Birmingham
    -Slightly more reputable than Warwick, and definitely moreso than Manchester for law (but I've been told the difference is marginal if I work hard enough)
    -Offers many interesting law modules

Manchester:
    -No LNAT
    -City life and its benefits

The only reason I might choose Manchester above the two is because it's in a big city. I've lived in a city all my life, so that's what I'm used to. Actually I spent two weeks in Oxford and it was not bad, Oxford is a moderately large university town and you can usually find stuff to do, besides London is just a 1 hour train ride. So if the university I am going to is close to a nice city (e.g. Birmingham, Newcastle) and the town itself isn't too bad, I can get used to it.

Also I know it's risky to have five, or even four, LNAT universities but I already have a backup plan (which is staying in my home country) so I can take that risk for Durham if it's going to make a difference.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ratach)
    I'm an international student applying for Law this year. I will be visiting Warwick and Manchester next month but unfortunately can't go to Durham. I am trying to decide which one to apply (cannot apply to all three, my other four choices are already set: UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Bristol).

My primary goal is to work as a solicitor at a top city firm (preferably MC or SC).

Here is a list for their positive attributes: (feel free to elaborate)

Warwick:
    -No LNAT
    -Green, nice campus
    -A unique contextual approach to the study of law, which can prove helpful in legal career
    -It has the option of a four year LLB course that will enable me to choose additional modules from the law department and elsewhere
    -20 minutes from Birmingham, UK's second biggest city

Durham:
    -Situated in a much nicer town than Coventry
    -Beautiful architecture
    -Has a traditional collegiate system somewhat similar to Oxbridge
    -A strong sense of community may be helpful for me as I will be starting a new life in the UK
    -30 min from Newcastle, which, as far as I've heard, is renowned for its active nightlife although it can't substitute for London and is smaller than Birmingham
    -Slightly more reputable than Warwick, and definitely moreso than Manchester for law (but I've been told the difference is marginal if I work hard enough)
    -Offers many interesting law modules

Manchester:
    -No LNAT
    -City life and its benefits

The only reason I might choose Manchester above the two is because it's in a big city. I've lived in a city all my life, so that's what I'm used to. Actually I spent two weeks in Oxford and it was not bad, Oxford is a moderately large university town and you can usually find stuff to do, besides London is just a 1 hour train ride. So if the university I am going to is close to a nice city (e.g. Birmingham, Newcastle) and the town itself isn't too bad, I can get used to it.

Also I know it's risky to have five, or even four, LNAT universities but I already have a backup plan (which is staying in my home country) so I can take that risk for Durham if it's going to make a difference.
    First off Newcastle is a better student night than anywhere besides maybe Manchester, as a student it destroys London (3 triples a fiver, more can you say).

Looking at your other choices Manc is likely much more suited to you, remember as a student you very rarely leave a 3 or 4 mile radius around uni (and Leam in Warwick's case).

ReputationRep:
    Would go for Warwick without a doubt. You have 4 LNAT unis already, it would be silly to put down 5 as if you do muck this up you could find yourself with 5 rejections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unsworth)
    Would go for Warwick without a doubt. You have 4 LNAT unis already, it would be silly to put down 5 as if you do muck this up you could find yourself with 5 rejections.
    Thanks for all comments. You're right about having 5 LNAT universities, having even 4 is a risky move, so I need to put at least one safer choice.

After visiting both Warwick and Manchester, I will go with the latter. After all Manchester is a great university (albeit slightly lower ranked than Warwick and Durham) targeted by Magic Circle firms. Graduate prospects and international reputation matter to me quite a lot, and these both are Manchester's strengths. Plus it's a marvellous city.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 7, 2013

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.