Personal Statement help?! (psychology) Watch

Laurakr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Without going into too much detail, I'm really worried that my personal statement is too much about the skills and experience I have and not enough of me saying why I want to study psychology
I really am passionate about the subject, but because of the character count I'm struggling to say everything I want to without sounding too cheesy. I have wrote about volunteer work, world challenge, sports I do etc, trying to show I'm a well-rounded person, but this cuts down on why I love the subject.
Do you think this would be a massive problem, or do I need to show my skills:confused:
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Laurakr)
Without going into too much detail, I'm really worried that my personal statement is too much about the skills and experience I have and not enough of me saying why I want to study psychology
I really am passionate about the subject, but because of the character count I'm struggling to say everything I want to without sounding too cheesy. I have wrote about volunteer work, world challenge, sports I do etc, trying to show I'm a well-rounded person, but this cuts down on why I love the subject.
Do you think this would be a massive problem, or do I need to show my skills:confused:
Showing why you're passionate about psychology is the most important thing. If you can't do this, admission's tutors won't care about your extra curriculars. When I did UCAS we were told to split it 75% 25% in favour of,why you want to study the subject
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Laurakr)
No more than 1/4- 1/3 of your statement should be on things that don't directly relate to psychology. Ideally, ECs should only be one short paragraph. You do not need to list all of your ECs, or explain the skills they give you. Admissions tutors will infer the skills you have gained from your ECs, if they are interesteded.

Content relating to your subject is a lot more important than ECs. If you can't fit in everything you want to say (including, ideally, discussion of 2/3 pieces of extra reading), then you need to cut from your ECs.

Unless any of your universities say that you need to show you are a well rounded person, you do not technically need to include ECs at all, and they are by far the least important part of your application.

I would suggest you start a brand new draft, and first write everything you want to say about psychology, including your introduction and conclusion. If there's room, then you can include a short paragraph on your ECs.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (104)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (275)
50.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
19.93%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
10.79%

Watched Threads