Please read, AS Maths Watch

staticas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Sorry for the irrelevant question but I have been struggling to decide on my 4th A-Level option since I heard how hard maths is. I'm currently working towards an A. Lots of the available courses seem stupid, I have narrowed it down to Maths, Economics or RE (basically because they are the only ones that I don't need to have studied at GCSE or that end in 'studies'). I think I would prefer Maths because it's more respected by universities than the other 2, and also I can't really assess whether I enjoy RE with only one lesson of it per week. My weakness is shapes really, (similar shapes, Pythagoras, the sin cos tan thing, and circle theorems) so I want to know what it involves at AS especially. I prefer algebra.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AKell17
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm afraid trigonometry and algebra tend to go hand-in-hand! You're gonna encounter both in A-level Maths!
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by staticas)
Sorry for the irrelevant question but I have been struggling to decide on my 4th A-Level option since I heard how hard maths is. I'm currently working towards an A. Lots of the available courses seem stupid, I have narrowed it down to Maths, Economics or RE (basically because they are the only ones that I don't need to have studied at GCSE or that end in 'studies'). I think I would prefer Maths because it's more respected by universities than the other 2, and also I can't really assess whether I enjoy RE with only one lesson of it per week. My weakness is shapes really, (similar shapes, Pythagoras, the sin cos tan thing, and circle theorems) so I want to know what it involves at AS especially. I prefer algebra.

Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you cannot do trig you will struggle

However, if your algebra is good, I do not see why you would struggle with trig anyway
Venus fly trap
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is harder but if you enjoy maths then you might love it! Speak to your teachers they'll tell you more
AKell17
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A-level maths involves trig but in a more algebraic way (if that makes sense) so I reckon you'll be fine I'd recommend it to anyone, it's a versatile and well-regarded a-level!
HenryD
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'd advise you, before you just write off doing maths due to the trig (there's a lot!) to spend one afternoon on a weekend for a couple of hours just relearning it, internet videos, textbooks whatever works for you. It's not difficult once you've got your head around it and if you're working towards an A you should be capable of doing so. It may not be the most fun afternoon but it is important.
staticas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by HenryD)
I'd advise you, before you just write off doing maths due to the trig (there's a lot!) to spend one afternoon on a weekend for a couple of hours just relearning it, internet videos, textbooks whatever works for you. It's not difficult once you've got your head around it and if you're working towards an A you should be capable of doing so. It may not be the most fun afternoon but it is important.
I think it's more recognising when and where I have to apply a certain method? Like I can never work out when to use Pythagoras and when to use Sin cos tan. But I'll try that out, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
HenryD
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's more recognising when and where I have to apply a certain method? Like I can never work out when to use Pythagoras and when to use Sin cos tan. But I'll try that out, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
No worries, that sounds like something that's probably not been explained very well to you rather than a weakness of your own :-)
TenOfThem
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This sounds like a misunderstanding of the basics and that is a real worry

If you do not understand the difference between a Pythagoras question and a Trig question that suggests that you have been learning to answer questions rather than to understand the material

I would suggest looking at one of the "bridging the gap between GCSE and A Level" books that are available (Amazon and other places) to see how much of the material you feel totally comfortable with
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (423)
30.26%
The paper was reasonable (551)
39.41%
Not feeling great about that exam... (239)
17.1%
It was TERRIBLE (185)
13.23%

Watched Threads