Swimming Watch

dazzer19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Basically, my bro is at uni and is coming down for the weekend as it is club champs and a race at the champs is 100m freestyle.

my current pb is pretty shocking (1:08) as I set this last year and I am now able to beat this in training! I did 4 100m freestyles the other day on 1:30 swim and rest and averaged 1:11 for each one!

Anyway, I need some tips on how to improve over the next few days just to cut off a few more seconds/milliseconds. I am hoping to get around 1 minutes but we will see what happens.

thanks for the tips,

dazzzzz
Laurakr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Some really simple (and probably obvious) things include high carb low fat meals, steamed vegetables etc, lots of water for the next few days, drinking little and often. If your events are in the morning have a light breakfast, or if they're in the afternoon have a bigger breakfast and light lunch. Make sure you get a good warm up, including lots of stretches on land (not just as you're waiting behind the blocks!) And remember to think through every aspect of your event on the day- powerful dive, streamlined start etc etc!
Good luck, hope this helps a bit!
dazzer19
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laurakr)
Some really simple (and probably obvious) things include high carb low fat meals, steamed vegetables etc, lots of water for the next few days, drinking little and often. If your events are in the morning have a light breakfast, or if they're in the afternoon have a bigger breakfast and light lunch. Make sure you get a good warm up, including lots of stretches on land (not just as you're waiting behind the blocks!) And remember to think through every aspect of your event on the day- powerful dive, streamlined start etc etc!
Good luck, hope this helps a bit!
Thanks for the nutritional stuff! It's at 7 o'clock in the evening so a larger breakfast and a smaller lunch? I really need to try and get more leg kicks in, both off the wall/dive and swimming as I literally just swim with my arms (this is what my coach told me :O )
Laurakr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dazzer19)
Thanks for the nutritional stuff! It's at 7 o'clock in the evening so a larger breakfast and a smaller lunch? I really need to try and get more leg kicks in, both off the wall/dive and swimming as I literally just swim with my arms (this is what my coach told me :O )
I'd probably go bigger breakfast, good slow release carb lunch and small dinner! Remember with freestyle the stroke is often faster than the underwater kick so don't concentrate on trying to change that so close to the event...just make sure any kicks you do are powerful!! I'm the complete opposite, slow strong stroke relying on my kick haha! Sure you'll do fine!
dazzer19
Rep:
?
(Original post by Laurakr)
I'd probably go bigger breakfast, good slow release carb lunch and small dinner! Remember with freestyle the stroke is often faster than the underwater kick so don't concentrate on trying to change that so close to the event...just make sure any kicks you do are powerful!! I'm the complete opposite, slow strong stroke relying on my kick haha! Sure you'll do fine!
Really? Haha, my legs are merely useless! Thanks for all the advice I have a college gala on Thursday too! I've got 50 and 100 fly individuals snd then 50 fly in a medley! :O gonna be knackered
Le Nombre
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Over a 100 probably don't think too much about your stroke within the race, just let training take over.

Wht you should try to concentrate on is technical aspects, so really whip round on the turns, get a good dive and clean break out every time. Stick to 2 or 3 fly kicks under water, unless you have exceptional underwaters it's unlikely you'll go faster than your free swimming.

For 100 take it out slightly harder than you think you can and really go for it first 25, it'll hurt the final 25 but you'll likely go faster overall than if you try and take it out and come home on people.
Laurakr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Really? Haha, my legs are merely useless! Thanks for all the advice I have a college gala on Thursday too! I've got 50 and 100 fly individuals snd then 50 fly in a medley! :O gonna be knackered
I could easily say the same for my arms! Haha! I don't swim competitively anymore but miss it loads so I'd love to be that busy...even if it was the dreaded fly
dazzer19
Rep:
?
Cheers for all the advice. I'm really aiming for a county time in either 50 fly or 100 free as in my county 50fly = 31 100free= 1.01 but we will see keep the advice coming! :P
Laurakr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cheers for all the advice. I'm really aiming for a county time in either 50 fly or 100 free as in my county 50fly = 31 100free= 1.01 but we will see keep the advice coming! :P
Aim for a county time in both hope you get them, good luck!!
Le Nombre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How's your underwaters? In fly you can really start to take some serious time out of people short course with a strong underwater section and it will help your stroke feel smoother in free swimming too, if you get that undulation right fly feels a lot easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNtOfkt6bvY

How old are you? If you're 14/15 then a resistance program, not weights but bodyweight stuff, could help your fly, particularly pull ups for really adding power to your pull.
dazzer19
Rep:
?
(Original post by Le Nombre)
How's your underwaters? In fly you can really start to take some serious time out of people short course with a strong underwater section and it will help your stroke feel smoother in free swimming too, if you get that undulation right fly feels a lot easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNtOfkt6bvY

How old are you? If you're 14/15 then a resistance program, not weights but bodyweight stuff, could help your fly, particularly pull ups for really adding power to your pull.
This is the problem. My underwater kick isn't exactly the best and I am currently trying to improve. Generally my stroke is all about my arms (and I think fly is generally seen as an upper body stroke?) but if I could just crack the leg movement, I think I would get some serious speed.

im 16 btw
Le Nombre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is the problem. My underwater kick isn't exactly the best and I am currently trying to improve. Generally my stroke is all about my arms (and I think fly is generally seen as an upper body stroke?) but if I could just crack the leg movement, I think I would get some serious speed.

im 16 btw
For most people it is, though you have to play to your strengths, some guy called Michael Phelps did alright with a leg driven fly technique recently

Out of the pool for fly you can try some stuff for ankle flexibility and plenty of core (both of which are useful for the other strokes too) to help improve the efficiency of your stroke. What are you doing in training for the kick?
dazzer19
Rep:
?
(Original post by Le Nombre)
For most people it is, though you have to play to your strengths, some guy called Michael Phelps did alright with a leg driven fly technique recently

Out of the pool for fly you can try some stuff for ankle flexibility and plenty of core (both of which are useful for the other strokes too) to help improve the efficiency of your stroke. What are you doing in training for the kick?
Michael Phelps? Who's that? :P haha (I'm joking)

hmm, mm, I think I need to start doing more land based training as well as just in the water. Tbh we don't do much training for it/drills so ill have to try and get us to do more
Le Nombre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Michael Phelps? Who's that? :P haha (I'm joking)

hmm, mm, I think I need to start doing more land based training as well as just in the water. Tbh we don't do much training for it/drills so ill have to try and get us to do more
You don't really need to do much specific, just set yourself targets, for example 5 kicks off every wall in all of of fly/back/free for the whole session bar swim down. You'll probably slow down for the first 2-3 sessions of it, but once you get more and more practised it shouled become a real strength of your swimming.
Wr0nsk1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
As somebody said before, go out harder than you think you'll need to in the first 25 or so. I know this is true from personal experience: I once dove in for the 100 free somehow thinking it was the 50, and then near the end of the first 50 I realized it was actually a 100! I was pretty shocked at myself thinking it was a 50, but nevertheless, I powered through the pain in the last 50 and I completely smashed my PB. I'm not saying to go into it thinking it's a 50, but you should go pretty fast on that first 25/50. Anyways, good luck!
dazzer19
Rep:
?
Yeah, sounds good!

Cheers for for all sound advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (72)
21.62%
The paper was reasonable (147)
44.14%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
18.02%
It was TERRIBLE (54)
16.22%

Watched Threads