Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm really struggling with making this decision as I just don't know what to do. I'm currently studying A2 English Language, and when I go to university, I want to study a joint degree within English Language and Creative Writing.

As I want to stay near home, I'm limited to the universities that I can go to. However, all the universities near home are English Literature modules - which I've never studied within depth!

In Year 9 I learnt Macbeth, and in GCSE we had to do our coursework on Thomas Hardy 'The Man He Killed', Shakespeare's 'Romeo and Juliet', and 'Of Mice And Men' by John Steinbeck. That's all I've studied of Literature and never studied it at A-Level as I didn't think I'd be continuing with English.

My friend who studied Literature at AS has given me his folder of all the work he did which I think looks really interesting, especially the poems of Carol Ann Duffy but I don't know if I'd be able to analyse it that much depth.

I love reading and am very keen on Nicholas Sparks' novels and have joined a poetry website where I have uploaded my own work.

I'm really keen on applying to Staffordshire University as the university is amazing, but its the course being literature and having no language modules. I have no idea what to do so someone please help me out.

Thanks for your help! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently a Year 13 student at the moment with the hopes of doing English Literature at degree level next year.

In your dilemma, I would strongly advise you to pick another university. It should be finding the right university to fit you, not trying to fit yourself to do another course instead.

If you want to do Creative Writing, I think Language would be a more benficial joint subject as opposed to Literature where you will possibly be tempted to copy certain writing styles without even realising. With language, you can work on the way you write without being influenced by other writers, and you can develop your own style.

If you really really want to attend Staffordshire University due to your own personal reasons, then maybe you will have to do Literature and work harder instead. Unfortunately, it's easier to jump from Literature to Language rather than from Language to Literature.

Maybe visit Staffordshire's Open Day or ask the university what they would recommend. Maybe even ask teachers at your sixth form or college to see what they would advise in your current situation?

I'm not saying all hope is lost, I honestly think you can do it if you are willing. Literature is such a wonderful subject, and I think that you sometimes forget you're in lessons preparing for exams in the near future. It almost feels like you're just getting together to talk about books and characters in such great depth and then proceed to write an essay to express your thoughts and feelings.

I hope all goes well, and if you do decide to take English Literature at Staffordshire, maybe we'll attend the same course! (I like Stafforshire University too! )

Good luck and take care! Feel free to ask me anything about Literature if you want!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Being as I take both A2 English Language and English Literature I can definitely give you some advice.

Well, first of all, since you have no prior knowledge to A-level Literature, it would be a real struggle to adapt writing about literature, if you haven't studied anything beyond GCSE.
    You definitely need to consider this. However, if your college/sixth form did not offer you Literature A-level, you could ask your referee to mention this in your UCAS application, then the universities might come to some understanding. Although, this is not always the case.

If you are interested in Literature, then surely you would have read some classic literature as you will come across some classical literature in your first year of studying a Literature degree.

To me, I think your best interests lie with studying English Language and Creative Writing. As well as this, in your PS, you would have to mention something that relates to Literature, can you do this, to show them you mean business?

Correct me if I am wrong, but how about looking at universities that offer 'English and/with Creative Writing'. In this way, you will get the opportunity to study English language modules and literature ones too. And if you were not to like the literature modules or like the subject, you can always lean more to the language side of your degree instead.

ReputationRep:
    I largely agree with what has been said. As a literature and creative writing third year student, with friends on the language course, I think there are pretty harsh differences between the two and believe if you are passionate and invested in any way in language, you shouldn't 'settle' for literature. Because it won't be an easy settle. However, if you are someone who does genuinely jumpy to a challenge and enjoys being a little 'positively stressed' in the name of academia, have a look at the literature handbooks for a few universities (I can link you to my own if you like) you are interested in, and really think about what is being studied, and if you will be able to tackle it. The two subjects really are extremely different though, and doing straight literature modules on your English half could be a little much. You would also, as someone mentioned, have to show quite a bit of initiative as someone who hasn't been studying literature - which is easy enough to bull about on paper, but if you were invited to an interview a little more research might be required.

(Original post by nguyenj)
    If you want to do Creative Writing, I think Language would be a more benficial joint subject as opposed to Literature where you will possibly be tempted to copy certain writing styles without even realising. With language, you can work on the way you write without being influenced by other writers, and you can develop your own style.
    And just to clarify - with no offence intended - this doesn't happen. I think I thought it would too before coming to university, but the two subjects are really quite divided in your mind and rarely cross over. Studying literature and language together is a very cosy, natural combination. Most of the tutors in my literature department are also actively writing, and winning awards for, their own work, thus also being taught by them for cw feels far more relevant; whereas the language department seem to be on an entirely different planet. I don't think I've ever met a language tutor.

If they ever do cross in your work, it's because you've been inspired by this novel or that poem studied in literature, and then carry that over to a portfolio piece - and this is actually heavily encouraged. It isn't 'copying', and if you acknowledge your inspiration source and why you chose to emulate it, and can also still add your own signature flavour to the piece, you will find your tutors responding positively to it. We're the students; we're supposed to be learning from what we're reading and developing our own styles from that. 'Nothing is original'; etc. But even in this case, the novel that has inspired will unlikely be one from the literature modules, but something you've read in your spare time, simply because that divide between subjects is quite clear creatively.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.