The Student Room Group

PGCE

Hi,
I'm in my last year of Maths MSci degree and I need to wait until next October to reapply to medicine which means I will have to work and save up some money in-between. A great opportunity came out to do a PGCE, and get paid 25,000 pounds tax free which, if i treated it as a job, would work out great for me. However, will this act to my disadvantage whilst being considered for medicine, since it is going towards a totally different direction rather than medicine?

Would appreciate any help.
Kate
From reading the posts about graduate entry, it's clear that some candidates are taking HCA and other posts in the health service, in the hope of improving their chances, but I can't tell you how important such experience would be. You should probably post a question in that thread and ask them... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2046159&page=78&p=45255064#post45255064

See also the medicine FAQ and wiki (links in the top right of this page), in particular the wiki article about graduate entry. Good luck!
Reply 2
Some general thoughts - altho am not sure if anyone could given a definitive answer! :

From friends' experiences on the pgce - in different subjects - it seemed an awful lot of work - most comments were it wasn't intrinsically difficult just ate up loads of time. Teachers also have loads of private time taken up - esp in nqt year.

My second point - related to the first - if it does take this much time, how will you be able to gain enough medic type experience for a very competitive course around this?

Presumably you would have to 'declare' this in an application form to med school ? How would you frame this? I need a plan B, /I was doing it for the money /I'm doing it in the full belief this is just a stopgap and I'll be off as soon as an offer comes my way?

Also from a pgce perspective - would you have enough enthusiasm to convince them this is what you want to do if your dreams lie elsewhere? Although could see 25k would be nice sweetener!

Are you sure you don't have to commit to a certain amount of teaching to get this 25k?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending