Why are loud, obnoxious people often praised in today's society? Watch

MancBoy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Obviously loud people are more noticeable but why are people drawn to people like this?

Take for e.g. the obnoxious, loud, LAD type of guy. Girls are often drawn to these types of guys. These guys often belittle others, are moronic and never shut up where as decent guys often fade away in the background. Why are these guys usually dominant in the dating game? Why do girls fall for these guys?

It's the same in work environments too. For example in my work its the loud and annoying people that are often praised. There's no doubt that they're idiots but for some reason people (especially higher ups) still warm to them.

Another example is house parties. People are often shouting at each ether's faces trying to get the last say if its some sort of competition. The people who scream the most often get a very warm reaction as opposed to people who don't. Why?

Do people mistake loudness for confidence?
AKell17
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MancBoy)
Obviously loud people are more noticeable but why are people drawn to people like this?

Take for e.g. the obnoxious, loud, LAD type of guy. Girls are often drawn to these types of guys. These guys often belittle others, are moronic and never shut up where as decent guys often fade away in the background. Why are these guys usually dominant in the dating game? Why do girls fall for these guys?

It's the same in work environments too. For example in my work its the loud and annoying people that are often praised. There's no doubt that they're idiots but for some reason people still warm to them.

Another example is house parties. People are often shouting at each ether's faces trying to get the last say if its some sort of competition. The people who scream the most often get a very warm reaction as opposed to people who don't. Why?

Do people mistake loudness for confidence?
The loudness shows confidence, authority etc. all traits that have been shown to be desirable on an evolutionary level!
It's all biology baby
CryptoidAlien
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fear. They override other peoples confidence
3razy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
And we sometimes wonder why we don't have any gentlemen left.
Caedus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Loud people tend not to have anything intelligent to say, which is rather annoying.
groundcore
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
James Bond isn't loud and look at him go.
Petyr24
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
People are attracted to confidence. Something those decent guys lack so much unfortunatly.
Mackay
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The louder people are, the more they crave attention. It could be argued that society perpetuates their insecurities by praising them for their loudness.

I personally find people more interesting if they are quieter and are able to use wit in measures without ramming their voice down peoples' throats. Loud, confident alpha-male types make me cringe a little. I just seem to think they haven't grown up since sixth form. Just my opinion.
Michael Moon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because simple people like simple people.
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surely it's just a physical representation of our social-media culture, where websites like Instagram, Twitter and Facebook literally facilitate the crowing about oneself to an audience as if anyone actually gives a damn?
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plainview)
Surely it's just a physical representation of our social-media culture, where websites like Instagram, Twitter and Facebook literally facilitate the crowing about oneself to an audience as if anyone actually gives a damn?
I agree, what is the biggest problem though is that many of these awful people some how end up in parliament. George Osborne, Ian Duncan Smith, Ed Balls and Dianne Abott all spring to mind. Politics being one massive area where demagoguism seems to unfortunately take a predominance over intellectual debate.
Plainview
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rational Thinker)
I agree, what is the biggest problem though is that many of these awful people some how end up in parliament. George Osborne, Ian Duncan Smith, Ed Balls and Dianne Abott all spring to mind. Politics being one massive area where demagoguism seems to unfortunately take a predominance over intellectual debate.
I don't think Osborne was a selfie-addict in his youth.
Rational Thinker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Plainview)
I don't think Osborne was a selfie-addict in his youth.
He certainly had a case of unwarranted self importance. That petulant face of his.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (143)
21.22%
The paper was reasonable (329)
48.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.69%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.28%

Watched Threads