What do I need to get for Student Accommodation? Watch

EllyPaddington
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi! I'm totally new to this forum and I'm really looking forward to talking to people!

I'm starting Uni next year, hopefully in the February intake at one Uni, but I was wondering, what do I need to get in terms of stuff for accommodation? Like what do I need for my room, cooking, cleaning, bathroom etc?

It seems like such an obvious question but over Christmas some of my family are going to buy me some of the stuff and I would like to start getting stuff together now

I already have most of the stationary stuff I need, and I have already started to stockpile packets and tins of food so I won't have to worry about that! I'm mainly asking for money for Uni costs, but I would love to know from people what I need to take so I don't end up taking stuff I don't need!

Thanks lovely people!!!
jones107
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
bedding for one is a must, two sets of fitted sheets to go over mattress, same with sheets and a duvet, and pillow cases, (with the pillows) basically, just buy everything you would want for a bed, but buy two so you have something to sleep on while the other set is being washed.
good idea i found was to have a mattress cover, makes it comfier and esier to clean in case you need to...

cooking, you will have to look at what youre accommodation supplies you with, toaster wise etc,
i found that talking to flatmates if possible via facebook you can pool as in who is getting what, so someone gets the toastie maker and others get kettle and toaster etc.
pots pans, cups and cutlery are a must. plus, may seem obvious, but i for one fogot to get any large glasses, pint size, so its either drink from the bottle or a mug for me

cleaning, it helps to have some bleach, two tea towels for drying, brush for the harder stains, and some washing up liquid etc.

in the bathroom it may be good to get more toilet roll than you will need
good for cleaning up mess, spilt dirnk and you know, the toilet, turns out i ran out a few days ago and have been using cleanex tissues for 3 days as i had enough food to last not going shopping

basically, try get youre family to buy in bulk any consumables so you dont have to buy them any time soon!

if you are going in feb. i would say take mostly summery cloths, and a few winter ones, that way you dont pack the car so much, and, it will be getting to spring/summer so you wont really need youre winter cloths so much!

all i can think of for now! good luck with it
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do make sure that you check what they provide, but there's a pretty exhaustive list here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki..._To_University
nic-nac
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You need to find out what's already at the accommodation. Mine had a load of cutlery, crockery, pots and pans the previous tenants had left meaning we didn't have to buy much and if we had have done, then we wouldn't have anywhere to put it.
Fashion Girl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you moving town ? Then don't take too much! I know your parents can always drive you up there, or if your parents are too busy bickering and you have to take the train or the plane, or have had such a POSH upbringing like me planes will be the only thing that will do :lolwut: don't carry too much, which I think is the ideal solution really. True, it will take you ages to settle down because who has the money to buy everything you want at once when on a student loan but at least it will all be things you want, like those kitchen towels you only get in the USA or a rice cooker from Sainsbury's just because its from Sainsbury's ?

So I think just the essentials would be a good idea: bedsheet, towels, shampoos, soaps, basic clothes, nice stuff you own, some toys maybe if you like having toys in your room, some books if you like reading or sports items if you play a lot of sports, some basic writing materials to start off with, and some food to eat when you get here :yy: !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (43)
24.16%
The paper was reasonable (78)
43.82%
Not feeling great about that exam (30)
16.85%
It was TERRIBLE (27)
15.17%

Watched Threads