Are most people fluent in a language after finishing their degrees? Watch

ddtown
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Whether it's a Spanish degree on it's own or alongside Linguistics for example. What sort of level would you be at?
sophia5892
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ddtown)
Whether it's a Spanish degree on it's own or alongside Linguistics for example. What sort of level would you be at?
Depends on the languages/previous knowledge/Year Abroad activities.

I'm doing French, German and Japanese (ab-initio) and spent my full year in Japan.
This year I'm doing Interpreting and Translation exams for French and German so although i wouldn't go so far as the say I'm fluent, especially due to my year abroad not being in Europe, I must be pretty close. I can pick up a book and read it without problems for example.

For Japanese I'd say I'll have more of a high conversational ability. We are expected to be able to pass N2 by summer (the level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test that most employers ask for - very few require the top N1 level) and I failed N2 by just 4 marks last summer so I don't see why I wouldn't be able to pass after another years study.

I guess it's just hard to judge.Most language learners say they'd never consider themselves fluent as languages are always changing and there's always new things to learn - and I guess nobody wants to claim fluency incase they're embarrassed later on
But language degrees generally aim for C1/2 level fluency by graduation (CEFR levels).

Hope that made some sense!
Le-JokerFr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A language is a social tool and being locked up in your room studying it is, frankly, a waste of time . You can’t avoid studying to improve your language skills, but if you want to speak then stop studying and just speak already

Source:Me heptalingual

deadwing
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I managed to get a 2.1 in my Spanish degree (joint honours) but I am very, very far away from being fluent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (135)
25%
The paper was reasonable (239)
44.26%
Not feeling great about that exam (103)
19.07%
It was TERRIBLE (63)
11.67%

Watched Threads