Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Crikey some of these are tough!

Here are a few examples from the Cancer Research UK graduate scheme I'm working on at the moment, I'm sure many others will be familiar with them:

Please give us an example of a time when you have had to act with courage and boldness to solve a problem or challenge?

Unfortunately I haven't had any such chance to act with courage and boldness nor been faced with any real challenges the surmounting of which would be particularly impressive.

Please give us an example of a time when you have led other people to make progress on a goal or objective?

Again, I haven't been put in a position of authority and as such, can't answer this question.

Please tell us about a significant achievement you’ve had in the last 2 years which you are particularly proud of. What did you learn from it?

Aside from completing my degree with a moderately impressive 2:1 from a half-decent Uni (Southampton) in 2012. I have achieved nothing remotely impressive in the past two years. I haven't had the chance to work in a position of any real responsibility as I've been to-ing and fro-ing between low-level jobs whilst applying for graduate schemes, I don't have the money or opportunity to climb a mountain or travel abroad or go on some kind of fulfilling experience or pursue any real interesting hobby.

....So ok, I obviously try and cobble together some sort of actual answer about starting a football team at uni, writing articles online and exaggerate my miniscule contributions to team efforts at my call-centre job etc.etc. but the cold, hard truth is that I've led a relatively ordinary, normal life and haven't had the chance to really say much thats particularly impressive . I know that sounds mundane and boring but surely its the same for most people right?

How on earth can you answer these questions without exaggerating or lying unless you've been fortunate enough or special enough to have actual achievements that you can legitimately show off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew7)

Here are a few examples from the Cancer Research UK graduate scheme I'm working on at the moment, I'm sure many others will be familiar with them:

Please give us an example of a time when you have had to act with courage and boldness to solve a problem or challenge?

Unfortunately I haven't had any such chance to act with courage and boldness nor been faced with any real challenges the surmounting of which would be particularly impressive.

Please give us an example of a time when you have led other people to make progress on a goal or objective?

Again, I haven't been put in a position of authority and as such, can't answer this question.

Please tell us about a significant achievement you’ve had in the last 2 years which you are particularly proud of. What did you learn from it?

Aside from completing my degree with a moderately impressive 2:1 from a half-decent Uni (Southampton) in 2012. I have achieved nothing remotely impressive in the past two years. I haven't had the chance to work in a position of any real responsibility as I've been to-ing and fro-ing between low-level jobs whilst applying for graduate schemes, I don't have the money or opportunity to climb a mountain or travel abroad or go on some kind of fulfilling experience or pursue any real interesting hobby.

....So ok, I obviously try and cobble together some sort of actual answer about starting a football team at uni, writing articles online and exaggerate my miniscule contributions to team efforts at my call-centre job etc.etc. but the cold, hard truth is that I've led a relatively ordinary, normal life and haven't had the chance to really say much thats particularly impressive . I know that sounds mundane and boring but surely its the same for most people right?

How on earth can you answer these questions without exaggerating or lying unless you've been fortunate enough or special enough to have actual achievements that you can legitimately show off?
    Yeah I would say just lie or exaggerate if there's nothing you can put, that's what most people do. Come on, you must be able to think of something?

ReputationRep:
    I think they're not really that interested in exactly what you achieved, more your approach to it, the things you learnt and how that experience is going to make you a better employee. Starting a football team sounds great, as does writing online articles. I'm sure you must have come up against some challenges. Did you have to face rejection on some of your articles, or deal with criticism, for example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get_Lucky_606)
    Yeah I would say just lie or exaggerate if there's nothing you can put, that's what most people do. Come on, you must be able to think of something?
    I can think of stuff like writing blogs, and yeah setting up the football team is obviously one thing and sure I'll come up with something and common sense would say to exaggerate whatever I can, but what do other people do?

Do you reckon they're really looking for someone who's actually achieved a lot at an early stage in life or are they more looking for someone whose achievements are relatively humble and down-to-earth?

ReputationRep:
    I can think of stuff like writing blogs, and yeah setting up the football team is obviously one thing and sure I'll come up with something and common sense would say to exaggerate whatever I can, but what do other people do?

Do you reckon they're really looking for someone who's actually achieved a lot at an early stage in life or are they more looking for someone whose achievements are relatively humble and down-to-earth?
    I would just say anything that shows you are capable/good at managing your own work stuff like that , i.e use stories that would apply in a workplace settings, tbh those examples you have put are fine it doesn't have to be anything amazing

ReputationRep:
    It can be from literally anything, like uni work - have you had to do any group work during your degree where you took charge? Did you have to give a presentation where you were really scared but overcame it? You can exaggerate, it doesn't need to be entirely true.

It's more to show that you have the necessary skills than showing you have lots of experience although you could use it as a chance to show that too.

I had an Employers Skills talk yesterday and he said to answer these questions, you use the 'STAR' method which is Situation, Task, Actions, Result and your answer should be about a minute long (when talking obviously). All you really need to show is that you have the skills necessary and explain a situation where you've used them and it doesn't matter where you take it from.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.