Big problem with my IB Math SL IA.. :( Watch

HazimQ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys,

I'm doing my Math IA about finding the maximum angle possible between a person's ears and the speakers in a movie theatre..

So, obviously, I'd have to find a function for the angle theta, and then find the maximum of the function. I did it wrong, and I reached a point where instead of finding a function for theta, I ended up finding a constant (I think I had too many defined numbers)... How do I make it so I find it in terms of a function?

Here's my diagram:

I'm trying to find a function for theta (1 or 2, doesn't matter, both sides are equal anyways) where measurements for A, B, S, F, and C are available. What I did was used Pythagora's to find D and E, and cosine rule to find theta, but I think I need to find D and E in terms of variables... How do I do this?

Thanks.
brianeverit
  • Study Helper
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by HazimQ)
Hey guys,

I'm doing my Math IA about finding the maximum angle possible between a person's ears and the speakers in a movie theatre..

So, obviously, I'd have to find a function for the angle theta, and then find the maximum of the function. I did it wrong, and I reached a point where instead of finding a function for theta, I ended up finding a constant (I think I had too many defined numbers)... How do I make it so I find it in terms of a function?

Here's my diagram:

I'm trying to find a function for theta (1 or 2, doesn't matter, both sides are equal anyways) where measurements for A, B, S, F, and C are available. What I did was used Pythagora's to find D and E, and cosine rule to find theta, but I think I need to find D and E in terms of variables... How do I do this?

Thanks.
I make it D=\frac{80-70\cos\theta}{B\sin\theta}

Does that make any sense?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (143)
21.22%
The paper was reasonable (329)
48.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (126)
18.69%
It was TERRIBLE (76)
11.28%

Watched Threads